Options brokers - any with vol analysis?

martin2min

I have been looking around for an online broker and so far interactive brokers seems to be the way to go. However, does anybody know which brokers actually have vol analysis as part of their platform, ie be able to look at skew/term structure of implied vols both current and historical.

The only solution seems to be to build a spreadsheet that connects to IB with their API but was hoping there was a less laborous solution out there.

The other thing seems to be Livevol Pro, but its 100/month and i dont think it does UK equities.

I've used ThinkorSwim.com for years. They have several options tools on their platform. I would actually argue if they don't have it on their platform, you don't need it! What's nice is you can look at your risk graph as it relates to current trades and proposed (analyzed) trades.

Thinkorswim.com was recently acquired by TDAmeritrade, so it's still up in the air how strong they will continue to be, but for options trading ThinkorSwim(TOS) is the best!

The best vol analysis out there right now is LiveVolPro (which does cost money). It has been worth every penny and thus far is the only vol software I would pay for. Every other program out there has in some form or another vol analysis. TOS is okay, but they have screwy vols, OX is alright too, as is TradeMonster.

Would be good to get a review on LiveVol, it looks good, but dunno if it justifies the monthly subscription.

RPEX, Ill be honest, I dont have to pay for anything because of my roll as a mentor. LiveVol is probably the only product I would pay for (aside from myself of course:)

RPEX, Ill be honest, I dont have to pay for anything because of my roll as a mentor. LiveVol is probably the only product I would pay for (aside from myself of course:)

good stuff, i'll probs give the free trial a go. Would be a no-brainer if they covered European exchanges.

TOS is okay, but they have screwy vols

Screwy how?

TOS lets you select from three volatility models. The model I use produces values very close to the one I developed before discovering TOS and I now use theirs.

Also I used their platform for five months before I funded an account their at no cost and with no hassling.

good stuff, i'll probs give the free trial a go. Would be a no-brainer if they covered European exchanges.

I subscribe to livevol pro and I would say it's a great options analytics tool. I have looked for similar analytic tools so I could save on the hefty monthly subscription fee, but there is nothing out there that compares.

Screwy how?

TOS lets you select from three volatility models. The model I use produces values very close to the one I developed before discovering TOS and I now use theirs.

Also I used their platform for five months before I funded an account their at no cost and with no hassling.

Vols and the model are completely different subjects. The issue is there puts and calls dont add up because they dont allow for cost of carry. They just run a .25 rate in their cash indexes. In their vix products they run the vol of the cash vix which is borderline negligent. The list goes on and on. Models are fine, vols=awful