Old Posts

slackjaw

Hello,

When I click on someone's name, and then I click on 'find all posts by' I get shown the first 25 of 500. Is there any way of accessing more than 500 posts from someone who's made, say, over 1000?

Thanks

Nick

You can toggle the ascending/descending option, but that's only going to give you the first/last 500.

I'm sure a mod or admin will jump in shortly and answer this...

Alternatively, try PMing Sharky.

TheBramble said:
I'm sure a mod or admin will jump in shortly and answer this...
We would....if we knew the answer ourselves ;) :cheesy:

Hi Slackjaw

May I ask why you would want to search for more than 500 messages?
Either way, you can use the Advanced Search option to search for keywords for a certain member. Would this help? :confused:

Hi FTSE,

It's not that I'm greedy for more posts to read - there are way too many for any sane mortal with only one lifetime.

It's just that occasionally I'd like to follow the evolution of someone who has posted a lot, so I can relate what they say now with what they said when they began posting.

I'm not sure the Advanced Search will do the trick. For example, both you and The Bramble have made well over 1000 posts each. If I was minded to see what you had thought and said when you first joined T2W, without having a specific subject in mind, I'm not sure I could do that by searching; and as things are, I can't get further back than 500.

Nothing sinister, I hope, in my request!

Slackjaw, as you've mentioned my name specifically, I should point out that I reserve the right to change my mind about everything, on a regular basis, for no particular reason.

My trading style and performance has changed dramatically in the 14 months I've been a member of these boards.

If I have in that time failed to contradict myself at least one hundred times, I'm clearly not trying.

If you're into analysing evolutions - I'd personally choose someone with far fewer posts to their name. It'll make your life and your quest, so much easier.

Number of posts is absolutely no direct indication of quality, success, intelligence or experience (except in my case of course) - neither is the converse necessarily untrue.

What's more useful might be to consider who is posting stuff right now that seems to you to make the most sense?

There are outstanding contributors on these boards (and others) who have very low numbers of posts, but are clearly 'on the money'. Their low post rate means they're not immediately 'current; for new members and retrospectively post-mining for them however is so time consuming as to be prohibitive.

It would be useful to be able to sort on members reputations and star ratings, but even that couldn't be guaranteed to throw up all the good stuff as we don't always remember to 'thank' the good posters in this way.

Good luck with your quest and if you do uncover any mental instability evident from your analysis of my progressively demented postings - it's only going to be news to you!

Absolutely!

I only used you and FTSE as examples because the two of you had replied to this thread. My primary motivation wasn't to track anyone's contributions from beginning to end. It was simply to try and find the first few posts of someone whose current observations caught my fancy just to see in what frame of mind they had started out. One or two of those I tried to do this with had posted more times than I could access. Hence my question.

I would need more time on my hands than I can get this side of a prison wall to uncover all the undoubted gems on this and other sites. Maybe we only access what we're meant to access, anyway. Rather like the chance meeting that changes your life ...