Objective Discussion on Banks, Firms, Funds

NitelL

(This is going to be a long opening post to set the tone; I do hope that this will lead to constructive and objective discourse, rather than degrade into a flamefest like many of the threads here. I do understand this is an anonymous online forum, but I have nothing to lose.)

I would like to begin a proper discussion on trading at an investment bank, prop trading firm, and hedge funds or buy-side funds.

My background:
Undergraduate in Singapore, graduating in December with a strong Science/Engineering degree. Did an internship on the trading desk at a top tier investment bank, and consequently received a full time offer for the said position. I would like to get into trading (probably in the Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities sphere), with a focus on Asia. [Not set in stone obviously, as I believe in being open minded early on in one's career, but it is a preference.]

While it may seem obvious I am now in a very good position (rather rare, considering the bleak job market now), something has caught my attention: au959 has said that the basic salary of Tibra is GBP60k/AUD100k. This is much higher than what I am being offered. I am looking to maximize learning and development in my first job, but this premium being paid by the prop firms has compelled me to take a second look at opportunities there.

This is a list of notable prop firms I have gathered:
Jane Street Capital
SIG
DRW
Tibra Capital
Optiver
Transmarket Group
Saxon FInancial
STA

While all investment banks operate and are structured in much the same way, every prop firm is a different animal. The only contact I have at any of these firms, is someone from Saxon. He has been with the firm for 2 years, is very happy, but his basic is less than a quarter of what Tibra offers fresh. His trading limits are also about 20 times smaller than a junior trader at an investment bank. (Given, prop firms generally give their traders a larger % of PnL as bonus than banks.) He trades only intraday, and is limited to a single product (say, a particular equity index).

Is this reflective of all the above prop firms? I have looked at all their websites, and Jane Street Capital (as well as SIG) looks more like a quantitative hedge fund. What are the others like, and where may I get a focus on Asia?

Firstly, I would like to say that based on my friend's experience, I'd say the learning and development there is terrible; being limited to one product at a time, I cannot imagine that there would be enough to learn to warrant devoting months to trading multiple contracts on a single product. Second, of course, is the quantum being traded. The trading is mostly electronic and the size is extremely small; it seems almost on par with a wealthy retail trader (and being a retail trader is an uphill battle). At a bank, however, a market maker, with his size, can actually affect prices (albeit in the very short term), and you have access to a vast amount of information (client and otherwise). I know my view on prop firms is extremely myopic; I hope someone with more experience can come on to clarify.

Lastly, I would like to add a note on hedge funds or the more portfolio-management oriented buy-side funds. This is a long shot, but does anyone here have any experience on what starting out in a hedge fund is like? I have been under the impression that the pay is the highest here, but you start out as a research analyst, and then the move into trader/portfolio manager positions is a long and arduous journey. The learning here is also the steepest, since, generally, hedge funds usually operate over multiple asset classes and do not divide funds into specific products (segregation by broad themes more likely). The situation in buy-side funds are generally similar, except with a much longer horizon and a smaller basic pay.

Thank you for reading to this point. I do hope we can have some good discussion here on starting out in either an investment bank, prop trading firm, or hedge fund (or buy-side fund). I have more to share on investment banks but would like to see how this develops before I proceed further. :)

A couple of views and no replies.. Is this on the wrong board?
(Or is the opening post just too wordy)

Just take the offer at the bank and be happy you got an offer. (It can't be THAT much less than 60k GBP /100k AUD and your earning potential is backloaded, ie. you might start on less now, but in 8 years time you will certainly be on more than the Market makers).

for a company to sponsor u. thats a pain for them. u gotta check which ones do and which ones don't

Just take the offer at the bank and be happy you got an offer. (It can't be THAT much less than 60k GBP /100k AUD and your earning potential is backloaded, ie. you might start on less now, but in 8 years time you will certainly be on more than the Market makers).

I agree, dont be too short sighted, theres no such thing as a poor trader at an investment bank

I think the main thing to consider is that you probably have a more limited window to get into a decent institution than is the case at a prop firm. Take the job and make a success of it.

I'd second GJ's suggestion very strongly... No matter how you slice it pay-wise, an IB background and experience will be a lot more advantageous to you down the road. Think of the (theoretical) opportunity cost as an investment in your (bright) future.

Thanks guys, I guess the response is overwhelmingly slanted to IB. As I have said, I'm not much worried about the pay, but the learning opportunities; its just that since the pay there appears higher (now), it seemed to suggest that the learning there is more intense. Guess not.
I had coffee with someone from Goldman today as well so that gave me perspective. :)

I have a feeling I know where the bank is. If you don't take the job I'm gonna go down there and give you a slap.

Nah, it's not one of the only 2 remaining true IBs. If it was, I wouldn't need to ask this questions, and their compensation plans wouldn't be lower than Tibra. But its still one of the top tier ones. :)
What's your background GJ?

I'm still finding it hard to grasp how your starting graduate salary in S&T at one of bulge brackets could possibly be that much less than what Tibra are offering first year....

Every single position I applied for at IB's in Aus was paying at least AUD80k + bonus for S&T graduate roles....

If you seriously considered a 20k (before bonus) difference in your first year to be enough to convince you not to take a role then I might come down there and slap you as well....

I'm going to guess your offer is from Deutsche...