Oanda vs Dukascopy vs Interactive Brokers

mpat89

Hi all,

Trying to decide on a broker but having some trouble...

Oanda - very easy to use platform, spreads are decent during peak hours but pretty shocking outside of that which is an issue if price is trading near a stop order and a wide spread causes it to trigger. Seems to be very little in the way of security of funds for a UK client. They offer trade sizes to the unit which is good for granularity but I don't think this is too big a deal as Dukascopy/IB offer to the nearest 1K units which can allow sizing to get pretty close to the required risk.

Dukascopy - security of funds, fast execution, good liquidity and spreads are roughly the same as Oanda during peak hours but far better whilst Oanda are running on their widened spreads. I just don't know if this is worth paying the commission (not that it's a massive expensive. I am trying to find out if Dukascopy are open 24 hours a day throughout the weekdays as IB close for whatever reason.

IB - like their platform (took some getting used to), would assume liquidity and spreads to be similar to Dukascopy. P/L is delivered in the actual currency traded and costs $2.50/transaction to be converted back to base (under $25k which will be the case for my individual trade P/L's). They also shut for 15 mins a day which I can imagine at some point in my trading career will end up costing me money.

Everything is pointing to Dukascopy but just wondering if I am missing anything here? Does anyone want to share their own experiences of these brokers if they've used them before? I know costs are relatively small but I don't like the idea of paying to withdraw as it just feels wrong to me heh. Oanda charge £10, Dukascopy charge 20CHF & IB are free (but they charge for P/L conversion so no better on that front really).

Hi all,

Oanda - very easy to use platform, spreads are decent during peak hours but pretty shocking outside of that which is an issue if price is trading near a stop order and a wide spread causes it to trigger. Seems to be very little in the way of security of funds for a UK client. They offer trade sizes to the unit which is good for granularity but I don't think this is too big a deal as Dukascopy/IB offer to the nearest 1K units which can allow sizing to get pretty close to the required risk.

Dukascopy - security of funds, fast execution, good liquidity and spreads are roughly the same as Oanda during peak hours but far better whilst Oanda are running on their widened spreads. I just don't know if this is worth paying the commission (not that it's a massive expensive. I am trying to find out if Dukascopy are open 24 hours a day throughout the weekdays as IB close for whatever reason.

IB - like their platform (took some getting used to), would assume liquidity and spreads to be similar to Dukascopy. P/L is delivered in the actual currency traded and costs $2.50/transaction to be converted back to base (under $25k which will be the case for my individual trade P/L's). They also shut for 15 mins a day which I can imagine at some point in my trading career will end up costing me money.

Everything is pointing to Dukascopy but just wondering if I am missing anything here? Does anyone want to share their own experiences of these brokers if they've used them before? I know costs are relatively small but I don't like the idea of paying to withdraw as it just feels wrong to me heh. Oanda charge £10, Dukascopy charge 20CHF & IB are free (but they charge for P/L conversion so no better on that front really).

misgivings about duka

seems it takes other side of trade

and complaints about slippage

you can find it on forums

Hi all,

Oanda - Seems to be very little in the way of security of funds for a UK client.

i'm guessing this part will change now that they're opening a european office registered with the fsa??

Dukas's market is stable, if they take the other side- its passive and ultimately its your method that makes it or breaks it. They don't have segregated accounts, IB safer.
Dukas make system updates during market hours and can freeze you out of charting platform, with NO warning or simple courtesy to let you know.

I'm planning to go to IB when my account is bigger.

I've traded a live account with Oanda for almost 4 years now. I've had no problems whatsoever. As mentioned above, they recently registered Oanda Europe, which is regulated by the FSA, which should reassure UK account holders.

And as far as I'm aware, they don't charge for withdrawals when doing so via bank wire, which is how I transfer my funds.

The wide spreads during off peak hours and during news events can be problematic to some. But it all depends on your trading style. If like me, you don't trade news or hold positions over the weekend then there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: