Noob Question

knowledgeiskey

9 0
Hi Guys,

I have a very noob question to ask and would appreciate any explanation towards the matter..

So a CFD contract on an index (lets use asx 200) allows you to purchase the contract with only 5-10% margin (depending on the broker).
Assuming the asx200 is worth 5000 points it would be around $25-$50 per contract to put up for the margin.

With the FX market (say AUD/USD) does it work similarly ?? so if you are buying a lot (i think 10,000 in a lot ?) and the exchange rate is AUD is buying 1 USD, then the 1 lot on the FX platform should cost you $10,000 but are the margins the same as cfd indexes or stocks? is the leverage the same thing as a margin (1:400 = 0.25% margin ?)

Any clarification would be much appreciated :cheesy:

barneydunn

116 31
Hi Guys,

I have a very noob question to ask and would appreciate any explanation towards the matter..

So a CFD contract on an index (lets use asx 200) allows you to purchase the contract with only 5-10% margin (depending on the broker).
Assuming the asx200 is worth 5000 points it would be around $25-$50 per contract to put up for the margin.

With the FX market (say AUD/USD) does it work similarly ?? so if you are buying a lot (i think 10,000 in a lot ?) and the exchange rate is AUD is buying 1 USD, then the 1 lot on the FX platform should cost you $10,000 but are the margins the same as cfd indexes or stocks? is the leverage the same thing as a margin (1:400 = 0.25% margin ?)

Any clarification would be much appreciated :cheesy:

In traditional forex a full lot is usually 100,000 of base currency and the margin depends on your leverage. Leverage of 500 to 1 means you would need 200 of whatever currency to open a 1 lot trade.

10000 position / 500 leverage = 200

I believe that most spread bet brokers charge 1% margin on forex pairs so if the price of audusd is 0.98 you need to put up £98 to open a trade at £1 per point.

Leverage doesn't apply with spread betting, the margin is calculated as above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock