Psychology Nobody Likes a Quitter

Have you ever thought about pulling the plug on your trading operation? I think a lot of folks have, including me. It's easy to quit but it takes perseverance to ride the storm out and stick with the game. Trading is no different than other endeavors you need a plan, some luck but most of all dedication to hard work and research.

This all sounds good on paper. Imagine some guy telling you how to handle your trading business. It's easy to read and then dismiss the ideas or you can really take them to heart but the reality is that until you come up with a rock solid approach you may be spinning your wheels

Drawdowns

I've seen a lot of friends and clients call it quits and 9 times out of 10 it's all related to drawdowns. People tend to quit after a losing spell. You've lost money so let's just quit and try something different. Are you really cut out to be a trader? Are you really being honest with yourself? Are you asking enough questions? Trading is an easy game to get into but that doesn't mean you're ready. There are some things that can prepare you for the test.

As long as you are using a proven methodology then stopping after a drawdown is the worst time to quit as the approach is just going through a losing cycle. You can't win all the time. I don't know anyone that has not had losing trades. I've met a lot of traders over the years and every time I talk to a successful trader I get the clear picture that their mantra is "Never Quit" and in addition to that I've seen first hand what happens. It's uncanny how often someone will stop trading a certain methodology, whether it's a system or a set of rules they have come up with, only to see that approach make money right after they have given up.

Self-talk

It's truly amazing what the human mind can do to sabotage success. What you say when you talk to yourself is really important because this is like a tape recording of what you think of yourself and ultimately what you think your reality should be. I know that it is impossible to control the markets but I also know that I will be successful at what I do - I always have been so. I just tell myself that same thing over and over. You will succeed. Period. There's no reason to invite indecision into the equation. Sure, I may have a losing trade going right now but I see the next trade as a golden opportunity to have a winner.

Think about how you feel after a losing trade. I don't like losing trades at all I never have but when I start to see losing trades as part of the process rather than an act against my ego it begins to make more sense. The market is not against you. Although it may feel like it sometimes, this is definitely not the way to think. Losing trades will continue to happen but as long as you use a sound approach and good money management you will prevail in the end.

The Right System

Losing trades and drawdowns are part of the game and the way I see it the cost of participation. You have to take emotion out of this game. Mechanical strategies are one way to relieve yourself of the stress of picking entry and exit points. But, be careful. It takes time to determine what sort of strategy is right for you!

You have to ask yourself a lot of questions in regard to finding what you like to trade and how to trade it. I personally like the stock indices for day trading and that's it for me. I like the liquidity and the volatility and the frequency of big moves. I like to think of day trading as big move hunting.

This may all sound silly in some ways as you imagine me sneaking around my office in a pith helmet seeking out intraday swing moves in the stock indexes but in reality it's a serious game that I never plan to quit. If I quit I would not have the opportunity to win. I must admit that this game is harder than ever in my humble opinion. The advent of cheap software and the high concentration of gifted programmers have made the game even more challenging.

But huge moves still happen. I've heard people blame the narrow ranges on hedge funds and large institutional traders but the reality is that low volatility comes from a sort of stalemate among all traders and it ultimately boils down to the approach you use. And if you can find an approach that suits you style maybe you'll hang in there and be a winner.

Just remember, nobody likes a quitter!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the more relevant question is when to quit trading or take a break from trading during a trading day or week. Many traders focus on risk management per trade (position sizing, stops, etc), and that's great. There's also the issue of managing risk on a daily, weekly, etc basis. Many professional trading shops have dedicated risk managers that implement "warning levels" (abnormal drawdowns during the day) and "drop dead levels" (maximum acceptable losses) on a daily basis. The analogy I use is a coach's trips to the mound when a pitcher is yielding too many base runners and runs. The warning level is a first trip to the mound for a gut check and an opportunity to shift strategy. The drop dead level takes the pitcher out of the game to preserve him for his next outing. Having worked with many professional traders and been in those drawdown situations myself, I know how hard it can be to (temporarily) stop trading, assess oneself and one's trading plans/expectations, and then get back into the game. The competitive side of traders says, "Quitting is bad", and that can keep them in the game long past a reasonable drop dead point. The result is a loss of many days' profits. One of my favorite posters from Despair.com shows a tennis player in agony standing at the net. The text reads: "Quitters never win and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Brett Steenbarger

steenbab said:
The text reads: "Quitters never win and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Brett Steenbarger

Well put, Doctor. And I enjoyed your book, particularly the idea of being one's own coach. An elegant solution to suppression, if one can implement it.

--Db.

In general I've found life's a lot like the market if you can survive..that is it may be generally going in the direction you desire ,but along the way you go through times which for want of a better word let's just call setbacks.... with experience you learn to preserve yourself in these periods ...I don't call this quitting , just preservation borne out of recognition of when it is right to apply yourself and when it is right to look for the nearest sunlounger.
I thought the article was ok ,but out of balance by ommision.

....IF....one of the smallest words in the English Language.......but one that means the most....hahaha

And....BUT...is another good one !

OOOOH ! and BECAUSE ....is even better ! hahaha

What Socs is saying has got to be understood on an individual level....otherwise you are missing the point! RUDEBOY.