NFA requirements matters ?

garethj

When you did choose a broker, did you take a look at what NFA was telling about ? Are their recommandations really serious ? Regarding what's happening on the market currently, I am kind of cautious with regulatory agency.

good question, i'm in the market for a broker myself. I'm kind of new to this but, I know you can look up a the firm your considering and nfa.futures.org and you can see if they have any complaints on them. The NFA and CFTC at least keep these firms from putting out information that's not accurate. are you saying you've gotten recomendations for the NFA?

good question, i'm in the market for a broker myself. I'm kind of new to this but, I know you can look up a the firm your considering and nfa.futures.org and you can see if they have any complaints on them. The NFA and CFTC at least keep these firms from putting out information that's not accurate. are you saying you've gotten recomendations for the NFA?

Well, by recommandation, I mean their net capital requirements. But it looks like to me as a much too mechanical system. Strictly capital-speaking, Lehman was, I guess, a pretty strong company and yet they disappeared almost instantly.
But maybe I'm missing something about how NFA value brokers. Wondering if other authorities, brithish for example, are more or less efficient. Or if I shouldn't care about any authority :)

to be a broker, I don't think the NFA has capital requirements for brokers. it's the clearing houses that they trade through, although some brokers are their own clearing houses. They raised the minimums from 20 million to 40 million in assets. But does it do more to ensure longevity? Your guess is as good as mine.