Newbie - Guidance please

rk_garimella

Dear Members,

Greetings...!!!

Need your help and valuable guidance for my career path. Please spare some time to give me your suggestions.

I'm a 31 year old, Masters in Computer Science, working as a Software Professional in an IB in IT Field.

Recently I've got more interest in Finance and in IB, and hence am trying to continue my career in Finance (and mostly in IB). Am more interested to work as a Trader but am no where sure how the path is how to proceed further.

Would like to know few pointers from you.

1) Since I do not have any financial degree, if I pursue one (in Master's of Finance), would that provide me some hope to go as a Trader?

2) I'm also planning to do CFA. Does this add any value to the path?

3) Considering my age, and the completion of the Masters (if I pursue), will the IB's be interested in taking me as a Trader, or initially as a analyst/trainee at the age of 35?

Even though am married and have commitments, I am ready to work hard to fulfil my interest. I'd like to obtain your valuable suggestions as to how feasible does this goal of mine is realistic.

Best Regards,
Kris

Hi Kris,
Welcome to T2W.

Given that you already work at an IB, presumably you've gone to the trading floor and/or HR department and asked the same questions that you pose here. What answers did they give you?
Tim.

Dear Members,

Greetings...!!!

Need your help and valuable guidance for my career path. Please spare some time to give me your suggestions.

I'm a 31 year old, Masters in Computer Science, working as a Software Professional in an IB in IT Field.

Recently I've got more interest in Finance and in IB, and hence am trying to continue my career in Finance (and mostly in IB). Am more interested to work as a Trader but am no where sure how the path is how to proceed further.

1) Since I do not have any financial degree, if I pursue one (in Master's of Finance), would that provide me some hope to go as a Trader?

3) Considering my age, and the completion of the Masters (if I pursue), will the IB's be interested in taking me as a Trader, or initially as a analyst/trainee at the age of 35?

Even though am married and have commitments, I am ready to work hard to fulfil my interest. I'd like to obtain your valuable suggestions as to how feasible does this goal of mine is realistic.

Best Regards,
Kris

In case you mean to become a trader in financial markets and trade your own accounts, degrees and certification are as worthless as the paper they are written on. In case you want to work for a financial firm and trade other people's money it is a slightly different story.

Go and gt your degrees and certifications, no problem with that just understand that once you have them you have ZERO knowledge required to become a successful trader.

I would recommend that you start to lean basic knowledge so you get a better picture about what you want to get into. Trading is very simple, but not easy. A lot of hard work is required and loosing money is part of the learning curve. I would take it step by step and easy your way into it.

Since you did mention you want to become a trader at a firm, I would still recommend that you learn how to trade alongside pursuing the degrees you seek as what you will learn by obtaining your degrees give you absolutely no value as a trader in any successful trading firm. A trader's job is to make money and the landscape has changed. Financial firms look for results and not degrees, there are always exceptions.

Either way, I wish you good luck and hope you succeed.

Dear Members,

Greetings...!!!

Best Regards,
Kris

Hi RK, investment banking..go onto Linked in..search for investment bankers and see what degrees they have. you will find law, economics, finance, maths, politics..in a nutshell you need no specific qualification just the hope that one of these are hiring. I used to work in finance, there were people with degrees in music! Despite how much I might hate to agree with LastBear :LOL: its not the type of degree, but often just the degree itself. And even then, thats not necessary