New to futures.

vik22

Hi,
This is my first post (i think), long time lurker.

I need to talk about per point values, and tick values.

It is my understanding that most of the commodities and futures contracts trade at a tick value of around $10 - $12.50 ish, so in the case of E mini S&P contract, the point value is $50 a point (4 ticks). (Regular SP's are obv higher).

2 questions,

Question one : as a broad viewpoint incorporating most short term swing and day trading strategies (anywhere from 6 minutes to 6 months say), what are some of the conservative stop sizes used. Note: i know stops vary based on volatility/S&R points etc, but just a general idea? Is a 50 point stop loss on the S&P good enough to eliminate noise??

To take an analogy ... i know most short term forex systems can do with a 50 60 pip SL, 100 pips to the higher end.
So this tells me, if i am working with one standard lot, (at a 100 pips i need $1000 as risk). If i trade at say 0.4% risk per trade, i need $250,000 as a proper bankroll for forex.

Trying to figure out a ballpark figure for one standard lot in futures that covers me for basically all commodities and futures (except the bigger ones like the reg SP).

Question 2: What is the average commission per lot? Who are some of the reputable brokers for European and British markets?
Is IB any good for futures? (I guess thats a lot of mini questions, lol)

Any one kind enough to shed some light?

Thank you.

Good Morning

In case you have not received answers to your questions- here is what I hope will be some helpful insight.

Regarding stop placement, it really depends on your risk tolerence, account size, trading strategies, and overall market volatility.

Usually its a good ides to have a 1.5/1 to 2/1 risk reward style for day trading. In other words, if you are trying to make 9 pts, you want to risk 4 hypothetically.

It is very inportant to keep track of your trades & reexamine your risk reward parameters. You should also make use of software that allows backtesting of trading strategies. Track and Trade Pro by Gecko Software is excellent for this.

Regarding your other questions. When you say European and British markets, are you talking about the currencies or their index futures (Gilts & Dax) In either case, my firm can offer both self directed and full service brokerage service at competitive rates. Depending on your level of service desired will likely determine your commission rates.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

This site may also be helpful

www.whitehallvegas.com