New guy saying hello and asking for advice

Zish

Hi everyone, i'm finally posting my first thread after many hours of lurking in the background. I actually came across this site 2-3 yrs ago and did a bit of reading back then but never took any action due to work/family committments, but here i am, back at the ripe old age of 27 to finally try and make a go of this.

I have always had an interest in finance and the markets (which is why I thought i'd do my undergrad in economics - not that it contained much about finance and the markets lol), but i suppose it's the disillusionment with my current job that has finally sparked me in to taking some action.

Now before you start thinking,' oh look it's another guy who's bored with his job and thinks he'll be able to make ££££ as a private trader" :) , rest assured I am 'aware' of the difficulties that face me, even if i can not truly appreciate them yet. I see this 95% of traders fail stat being bandied about all the time, and to be honest, it does slightly intimidate me, yet I hope that with the right preparation I can be on the other side of this statistic. To give you a rough idea of my aspirations, if after 5 years I can consistently make 20% per annum on capital employed I will be delighted!

Right, down to the nitty gritty, I've been reading this site for a couple of months now (K. Lab articles, other peoples posts etc,) and i've formulated a few thoughts:

1) I 'think' i will focus on the Dow. Why? Because it offers sufficient volatility to make decent returns, but may be better for the beginner than the more volatile markets ( forex, nasdaq etc). Whatever instrument I choose, it is my intention to focus 100% on it and not trade any other instruments.

2) Day trade, Swing trade arghhhhhhhh. Not sure. I think this is something I can only decide once I start looking at the markets daily and finding out which one suits my personality. On a practical level, beacuse i'm still working full time, day trading may be out (even though I read it's possible to profitably trade the Dow 7pm-9pm after work). Swing trading may give me more time to 'think' and fit in with my work schedule, but i'm not sure, I think I would lie awake all night worrying about my open positions and whether the market will gap or not :)

3) SB, futures, options - well the plan is to come up with a consistently profitable strategy via observing price action, back testing, paper trading, and then trading with a small capital base (£1000) to see how I do. So I suppose once I start using real money, spread betting is my only option, though I would move to the YM if I could make consistent profits and the dow was my preferred market.

I suppose what i really want from you guys is advice on my next steps. I know I need to do a LOT more reading on TA, money management and trading psychology, but I don't want to just sit there reading. I want to be actively studying the markets and price action so I can get a feel for things. From what I've read on this forum, I am very interested in solely relying on price (and volume) without the use of indicators, and have found dbphoenix's posts particularly interesting.

So what do you guys think my next steps should be? I was thinking I should get a data feed and charting package so i can watch how price moves and just get a feel for things. There seem to be many feeds/packages out there so I was hoping you guys could give me your opinions - as it's not possible for me to continually watch the Dow, may be a package that would allow me to replay the whole day would be best?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far, and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Zish

Hey Zish,

I got this from here when somebody else3 posted it up the other week. Ive not tried it yet but its supposed to help your Money Management skills.

http://www.s2pmarketsignal.com/How-to.htm#s2pRiskManagementGame

And this one i have tried. Its called trader trainer and takes you through some set ups to see how you read the market one day at a time and gives you the choice of Long/Short the market or even sit out. This one is really good.

http://www.tradertrainer.com/beforeyoubegin.htm

Cant really offer more than that as im still learning at the moment.

Hope they're of some use all the best

Zish said:
Hi everyone, i'm finally posting my first thread after many hours of lurking in the background. I actually came across this site 2-3 yrs ago and did a bit of reading back then but never took any action due to work/family committments, but here i am, back at the ripe old age of 27 to finally try and make a go of this.

I have always had an interest in finance and the markets (which is why I thought i'd do my undergrad in economics - not that it contained much about finance and the markets lol), but i suppose it's the disillusionment with my current job that has finally sparked me in to taking some action.

Now before you start thinking,' oh look it's another guy who's bored with his job and thinks he'll be able to make ££££ as a private trader" :) , rest assured I am 'aware' of the difficulties that face me, even if i can not truly appreciate them yet. I see this 95% of traders fail stat being bandied about all the time, and to be honest, it does slightly intimidate me, yet I hope that with the right preparation I can be on the other side of this statistic. To give you a rough idea of my aspirations, if after 5 years I can consistently make 20% per annum on capital employed I will be delighted!

Right, down to the nitty gritty, I've been reading this site for a couple of months now (K. Lab articles, other peoples posts etc,) and i've formulated a few thoughts:

1) I 'think' i will focus on the Dow. Why? Because it offers sufficient volatility to make decent returns, but may be better for the beginner than the more volatile markets ( forex, nasdaq etc). Whatever instrument I choose, it is my intention to focus 100% on it and not trade any other instruments.

2) Day trade, Swing trade arghhhhhhhh. Not sure. I think this is something I can only decide once I start looking at the markets daily and finding out which one suits my personality. On a practical level, beacuse i'm still working full time, day trading may be out (even though I read it's possible to profitably trade the Dow 7pm-9pm after work). Swing trading may give me more time to 'think' and fit in with my work schedule, but i'm not sure, I think I would lie awake all night worrying about my open positions and whether the market will gap or not :)

3) SB, futures, options - well the plan is to come up with a consistently profitable strategy via observing price action, back testing, paper trading, and then trading with a small capital base (£1000) to see how I do. So I suppose once I start using real money, spread betting is my only option, though I would move to the YM if I could make consistent profits and the dow was my preferred market.

I suppose what i really want from you guys is advice on my next steps. I know I need to do a LOT more reading on TA, money management and trading psychology, but I don't want to just sit there reading. I want to be actively studying the markets and price action so I can get a feel for things. From what I've read on this forum, I am very interested in solely relying on price (and volume) without the use of indicators, and have found dbphoenix's posts particularly interesting.

So what do you guys think my next steps should be? I was thinking I should get a data feed and charting package so i can watch how price moves and just get a feel for things. There seem to be many feeds/packages out there so I was hoping you guys could give me your opinions - as it's not possible for me to continually watch the Dow, may be a package that would allow me to replay the whole day would be best?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far, and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Zish

I'm glad you've found my posts interesting. Or I think so. Depends on what you mean by "interesting".:)

In any case, if you're interested in the Dow and aren't ready to daytrade and you aren't driven to plunge into trading with reckless abandon and you are serious about learning rather than gambling, I suggest you look at DIA. You can trade it either EOD or intraday, you can provide yourself with all the time to think that you need, you needn't worry about leverage (the good of it or the bad of it), you can buy enough shares to keep you interested without buying so many that you can't sleep at night, you won't have to worry about gaps (unless the entire market gaps), and you won't have to bother with spread-betting.

As for datafeed and charting package, get SierraCharts with an IB datafeed. The datafeed is free if you have an IB account, SC is very inexpensive, and SC provides replay, which will allow you to watch price move in "real time" any time of day or night, any day of the week.

Db

Zish said:

So what do you guys think my next steps should be?

Zish

Welcome Zish, I'm sure your "lurking" has been educational. There's very much information and food for thought on this site (there's also some crap around) but you're right: at some point you want to see something other than text books and watch live market action and get some experience "in the field". I would suggest you think for yourself
- what is it that I want out of this? a substitute for a full time job, just some extra "cash",...
- how much time can I invest in it? weekends only or 10hours a day...
- what am I willing to risk?

You mentioned you're particularly interested in studying price and volume. Personally, I came to a much better understanding re-reading and studying everything again, after having looked at the real time market for several dozens of hours. But that's not a prerequisite for what you might have had in mind... anyway... whatever your next step is never do it with real money on the line.
Good luck :)

firewalker99 said:
Welcome Zish, I'm sure your "lurking" has been educational. There's very much information and food for thought on this site (there's also some crap around) but you're right: at some point you want to see something other than text books and watch live market action and get some experience "in the field". I would suggest you think for yourself
- what is it that I want out of this? a substitute for a full time job, just some extra "cash",...
- how much time can I invest in it? weekends only or 10hours a day...
- what am I willing to risk?

You mentioned you're particularly interested in studying price and volume. Personally, I came to a much better understanding re-reading and studying everything again, after having looked at the real time market for several dozens of hours. But that's not a prerequisite for what you might have had in mind... anyway... whatever your next step is never do it with real money on the line.
Good luck :)

I can't decide for you whether you want to be a day trader or a swing trader but as a swing trader myself I find the daily bars far more predictable than using 1/5/10min bars. If you do decide to swing trader you shouldn't restrict yourself to 1 instrument, the principles remain the same for indexes/forex/commodities/bond futures however you do need to trade them slightly differently. You can ride the ups/downs on indexes over a long period, but I wouldn't recommend the same strategy for commodities or bonds for example. It takes me about an hour 2x a week to scan the charts for potential orders and 10 mins a day every morning to monitor my existing orders/positions.

It took me a year to finally come up with a trading style/strategy so I wouldn't expect great things to start with. I tried a load of automatic systems (of which I still have one going) but my main trading thrust is now on discretionary swing trading. That doesn't mean that I've stopped looking for new methods. My lastest venture is writing an automatic forex bot that will daytrade 24x5 - but that's another story. It will probably take you a while and a few failed attempts before you hone your strategy - just like the rest of us.

To get started, provided you don't want to be a scalper, I suggest you open up a demo account with a spread betting firm - e.g. capital spreads (I would never reccommend a SB to a scalper) - and try and make some money using that. Make your mistakes there.

I think the biggest mistake I made was to jump in with real money before properly testing trying my strategies. And then only when I started losing money did I go back and properly test things to find out where my mistakes were!

My last, most important piece of advise is NEVER EVER enter a position unless you can pinpoint an exact point on the chart where you can say that the trade you made was wrong <- that's where you put your stoploss.