New Computer

stevet

Established member
917 5
regardless of any advice you get on here ( and at least for computers - advice on here is very good) - this is a tricky time of changing computer technology - so you really want to find someone with a fully working version of what you want and doing what you want with it - and then just copy the specs EXACTLY - until you can find that - hold back

ChartMan

Legendary member
5,580 46
We buy dells and run them with 3 monitors and our application is multi direct X blah blah, far in excess of anything you may need. We just use a cheap PCI video adapter,generally Nvidia chipset. Works fine. If you have a Matrox 4 port, go for the lower spec machine. Traders don't need rocket specs. A P4 2.6 gig is more than enough.

robq

139 3
ChartMan said:
We buy dells and run them with 3 monitors and our application is multi direct X blah blah, far in excess of anything you may need. We just use a cheap PCI video adapter,generally Nvidia chipset. Works fine. If you have a Matrox 4 port, go for the lower spec machine. Traders don't need rocket specs. A P4 2.6 gig is more than enough.

Sorry - I've edited my post and put the bit about the Matrox port in quotes, it's from the elitetrader thread. I don't have one.

I'd be happy enought to put a video adapter in. I'm not sure of the significance of the fact that the Radeon x300 se video card which comes as standard is NOT included in the list of
Video Adapter Chip Sets Supported in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296538&Product=winxp

"You can use any combination of the PCI or AGP-based video adapters that are listed in this section with multiple monitors. Only video adapters that are based on the chip sets that are listed in this section work as primary and secondary video adapters.

The following drivers are supported by Microsoft and are included on the Windows XP CD-ROM:"

robq

MartinD

105 2
I have a Dell Precision workstation and am driving dual Dell FP1701 TFT monitors using an Nvidia 5600 gfx card. Before that I used the 5200 model and prior to that still I had the Matrox G450.

No problems at all with any of the above cards. The nvidia card I am using currently has one VGA and one DVI output - the Dell panels automatically select between digital or analog inputs. Windows XP is a dream for setting up multiple screens.

Planning to upgrade to quad screens soon - check out www.colorgraphic.net for cards that will drive 4 or 8 screens at 2048 x 1600 resolution!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock