Nest Egg advice please!

this message is intended as general conversation and should not be relied upon as investment advice, seek professional advice and make your own mind up about any investment decisions. i am in no way holding myself out to be an expert in investment advice.

my advice would be to put the money in term deposits that are secured by the govt (NZ does that). while it's sitting there so you can't touch it you should research investment theory and learn all you can, maybe take a few courses at a university if you feel the need (accounting, finance and investment related)

i know this sounds like it will take a long time but if you do the work you'll have a good footing in about 3 - 4 years

then take what you determine to be your risk capital and invest that in stocks, bonds, indices, pixie dust

you don't need a fund manager :)

Getting closer. Now 10,817.65. Another week or two like the last one and you will hit your target quicker than you thought.

Down from 11445 when i posted that it was going down. Still confident that We will see DJIA break 10,000 by end of October at the absolute latest.

Unless you're willing to manage your money yourself and make all the decisions as to where it goes, I suggest you invest in real estate. Not only are the returns greater, but you'll have something physical to represent your cash. Focus on finding property in prime areas - no matter how bad the economy, those places will not fall in value.

Agreed. I witnessed many investments in this economy and it all went good.

anyone who claims they know where the dow will be in a month's time is wrong :)

I buy stocks on massive down days like today. Although only in an account I don't plan on withdrawing from for 30 years... I am immensely skeptical of market timing on horizons beyond a few weeks, but I know if I buy crashes at least with some of them I'll be getting great value ;)

Very different to trading that, of course. Anyone who didn't realise **** was gonna collapse today was a moron.

I buy stocks on massive down days like today. Although only in an account I don't plan on withdrawing from for 30 years... I am immensely skeptical of market timing on horizons beyond a few weeks, but I know if I buy crashes at least with some of them I'll be getting great value ;)

I think we are just getting started to the downside, October should be very interesting.