Need help calculating prof/losses on spreads?

• Welcome to the newest version of Trade2Win! We're running on the latest version of, what we consider to be, the best forum software available today. Our aim was to keep things as familiar as possible but focus on improving speed, security and usability. We hope you like the result! Please post your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback in the What's New and Feedback Thread - Sharky.
Jun 26, 2005
LA
Assume I initiate a bull spread on this hypothetical spread
If XYZ commodity trades in 1000 units, price in $ per unit

On January 1, Feb contract@ $10, March contract @ $11 spread difference of +$1
January15 Feb contract@ $12, March contract @ $ 9 spread difference of +$3
profit $2 or $2000

Here's where I am confused
On January 1 Feb contract @ $10 , March contract @ $ 11 spread difference of +$1
On January15 Feb contract @ $ 9, March contract @ $ 6 spread difference of -$3

I have lossed -$1 on the long. However, I have profited on the short +$5. I understand spreads are traded as spreads and not individual contracts. Would this be a profitable spread? Is my profit +$4 or $ 4000? Or is this a loss?

Much Thanks to anyone who can help.

Feb 26, 2005
Melbourne
You confused yourself.

In the first case, if you long March /short Feb contract. Your initial spread is +1 point. On Jan 15, the spread is 9-12=-3. So you're down -4 points or shows $4000 loss. if you long Feb/short March, you'll have $4000 profit.

In the second case, it is the same. On Jan 15 you have $4000 loss should you long March/Short Feb contract and have $4000 profit if you long Feb/short March.

Hope that helps.

Mar 28, 2005
Hawaii
Long & Short

What Alp says is correct. One more time. You don’t say much about buying and selling. But I will assume normal nomenclature and call your first the buy or long. And the second your sell or short.
On January 1 Feb contract @ $10 , March contract @ $ 11 spread difference of +$1
It looks to me like you got into the spread with Feb $1.00 below March.
On January 15 Feb contract @ $ 9, March contract @ $ 6 spread difference of -$3
The Feb which you got at $10.00 has gone down to $9.00 costing you a $1.00 of profits. The March, which you sold at $11.00, has fallen to $6.00 for a total profit of $5.00, netting you $4.0
I have lossed -$1 on the long. However, I have profited on the short +$5. I understand spreads are traded as spreads and not individual contracts. Would this be a profitable spread?
You are trading the spread differential. In this case the spread is trending in your favor until it turns.
Is my profit +$4 or $ 4000?
Yes!

Jun 26, 2005
LA
Thank both you guys for taking the time. Sorry, for taking so long to thank you Alps. I thought I had already left a "Thank You," post.