Need Advice

samsung01

I was looking into a joining a trading arcade but need advice on whether I should.

I am a recent college graduate and have really enjoyed trading through my own personal account for the past two years. However, due to my limited funds I am unable to fully daytrade (need $25k in my account).

I found a firm that would give me 20-1 leverage (I deposit $5k) that does not charge any desk fees. I would be paying roughly $250 in misc. fees to start, which I was told would not actually go to the firm but to the people running my fingerprints, background check, etc.

They also say they lock in your money for one year, unless you have $25k in your account. This is a drawback for me because I do not have all that much money to have $5k locked away for a full year if I decide not to pursue this job. I'm not sure if I can just throw in $25k real quick just to withdraw all my money, I need to clarify this with the manager.

They charge $0.80 for every 100 shares you trade. While this appears to be a low rate since I'm just starting, I feel that my commission fees would increase substantially as time goes on and I begin to trade a lot more shares. In the demo session I attended, I was trading between 100-300 shares, which was not much in regards to commission.

They also cap your loses for each day so that I cannot lose more than say $250 in a single day. This limiting of loses may also hinder my performance although I do see that they are just trying to minimize their risk as well. I am pretty sure they raise your cap over time, but they were not specific as to when they would.

Are these fees and restrictions normal?

All-in-all, while it appears I may be able to make some small amount of money in the short term, it seems it would be very difficult to make enough to actually live off of. Now I know this is a risky career path that involves a lot of time and commitment on my end, which I am more than willing to put in. I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
"... due to my limited funds I am unable to fully daytrade"

dont u feel that u r wrong in trading anything.
the size of an account doesnt matter.
a big account can easily be reduced by everyone to a smaller one.
vice versa cant be done by every1.

Why don't you trade futures on your own. There is no 25k requirement and you can get competitive margin and commissions through an FCM like Global futures or Velocity futures and you won't be paying anyone for desk fees etc. Even with 5k in your account you can easily trade 5 or even 10 contracts.

For now I would like to take it step-by-step and learn more about equity trading first. After some time I will get into trading futures and options, but for now I just want to focus on equities

"For now I would like to take it step-by-step"

your definition on step-by-step is wrong.

Re: "I would rather trade equities for now before getting into futures"

ask yourself why u would rather trade equities for now before getting into futures.

the answer is quiet easy : "u can sit and wait" before declaring bancruptcy

You're an absolute and utter idiot, have you ever made a constructive post?

What is a more sophisticated way to say ...

u can t sit and wait while trading futs!

Mate can’t really see the point in joining the arcade. Ive worked at two prop firms and to be honest with the services retail brokers can offer you these days it’s just not worth being there. You’re better off using what you would of paid in fees as extra risk while you’re learning. What are they really offering you other than the leverage? Unless there are providing you with something that you need and cant get elsewhere don’t see the point.

Leverage is of no advantage unless you are already consistently profitable, otherwise it's just a quicker way to lose your dough.

Leverage is of no advantage unless you are already consistently profitable, otherwise it's just a quicker way to lose your dough.

The point is he cant daytrade equities as he doesnt have the required 25k, thats why he needs funding.

Unless there are providing you with something that you need and cant get elsewhere don’t see the point.

It does appear that the firm does offer some help and advice. I would sort of have a manager/mentor during my time there that I could speak to and bounce ideas with. He even offered to help me with screeners and reviews, although obv. not constantly watch me with every move I make.

Yes, I did notice that I could lose the initial $5k a lot faster with the leverage, but as mentioned in the above post I need the leverage in order to be able to effectively daytrade.

is this arcade willing to back you? so rather than you putting 5k in and then wanting to leave after 2 months, can you ask them to fully back you for the first year or so? This way you can use your 5k to live off in the meantime as it sounds like your funds are tight right now. In the long term once you are consistently profitable and if this arcade is where you want to be surely you can then go and bring your own money in?

is this arcade willing to back you? so rather than you putting 5k in and then wanting to leave after 2 months, can you ask them to fully back you for the first year or so? This way you can use your 5k to live off in the meantime as it sounds like your funds are tight right now. In the long term once you are consistently profitable and if this arcade is where you want to be surely you can then go and bring your own money in?

Do you think they'd back someone without a substantial track record without putting down any money or paying any desk costs? You might have trouble finding a deal like that.

They won't back me, I would have to put $5k of my money up. Funds are pretty tight, but I do not mind investing the $5k. I just want to know if it would be worth the investment (after the fees). I will also have commuting costs of about $270 a month.

Do you think they'd back someone without a substantial track record without putting down any money or paying any desk costs? You might have trouble finding a deal like that.

Yes I don't think that's an impossible deal to get. It's not exactly common but not that far away. Depends if the person is a graduate or good at interviews

They won't back me, I would have to put $5k of my money up. Funds are pretty tight, but I do not mind investing the $5k. I just want to know if it would be worth the investment (after the fees). I will also have commuting costs of about $270 a month.

Not sure which country you're in now, but I'd have a look around for a place where you can get a backed deal. It might mean less income for a while but also keeping your 5000 for the meantime whilst you learn to trade. Hard for anyone here to say its worth the investment as it depends on your trading ability. My concern would be that you join, invest the 5000 then after a few months you don't like it or aren't profitable for whatever reason and end up out of a job and out of pocket.

Theres a new thread in the general trading chat section talking about the success rate of traders, might make interesting reading for someone in your shoes considering starting off.

It does appear that the firm does offer some help and advice. I would sort of have a manager/mentor during my time there that I could speak to and bounce ideas with. He even offered to help me with screeners and reviews, although obv. not constantly watch me with every move I make.

So it seems to me that it hinges on how good the “mentor” is. Prob just going to be the risk manager mate. Might be better off looking at somewhere that has a grad scheme?

How you been getting on n e ways?