My views on the S&P 500

Ganalytics

Hello all,

I put together some thoughts on the S&P 500 a few weeks back: https://www.ganalysis.com/sp-500-some-perspective/. We had the jump up today on sentiment from the Trump/China meeting from the G20. My thoughts on that are twofold:

1) There is nothing concrete, and this could very well just be a positive PR moment that amounts to nothing substantial.
2) Trump is desperate for something positive to shift the news cycle off of all of the other drama right now. While the "China ripping us off" in trade theme is one of his more consistent policy positions, I don't believe he is truly tied to any ideological position. If he is truly looking for a good news story, he may step back from his hard line stances to sell himself as the trade guru that solved China (regardless of how significant or not any deal ends up being). If that plays out, sentiment may take a more significant positive tone, and the S&P would rally.

I don't think (2) is going to happen tomorrow though, so we may just pull back in to the range that's been developing (roughly b/w 2630 and 2815). I wouldn't necessarily trade it, but keeping my eyes on the index tomorrow.