My SpreadBet Magazine Column

JoWa11

My name is John Walsh, at the end of 2012 I won the City Index Trading Academy which some of you may or may not have watched at the time or since. Iv been a member of this forum a few years now and have posted a couple of times here and there and found it to be very interesting with good content.

Since my win I have been writing a monthly column for SpreadBet Magazine regarding my trading journey since winning the competition, to begin with I traded UK stocks as well as indices (FTSE,DAX and DOW) and had some success but needed more direction and focus, as stocks are my real trading passion I decided to give swing/position trading US stocks a try as the time difference suits me to research before the markets open in the afternoon as I don't like to research while stock prices are moving.

My monthly articles are not technical, just an account of an someone who was taught to trade and who keeps trying to learn, I talk about what trades I have open and what trades iv closed at a loss or profit, I also call all my trades on Twitter and post a daily watch list of stocks, some I trade right away, some I trade days or weeks later.

The reason for writing this is I just thought I would say hello and would be interested in any comments anyone had regarding my articles.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards

John

So no one on here reads SpreadBet Magazine or my column then, that's good to know lol.

Regards

John

Last edited:
Yeah Mike maybe your right

Admin - please can you move this post to the Spreadbetting Forum

Thanks

Regards

John

Last edited:
Hi John, firstly belated congratulations to you. I just read your piece, as someone with quite a number of sb years. However my own s/b exposure relates to certain commodities and a few UK equities, as opposed to US stocks & stock indices. And I would certainly have more comment here *if* our interests merged, yet just before handing over the reins to someone with more US equity experience I just want to say that I hope those who are new to spreadbetting will take some inspiration from your achievements to date; and, that with constant dedication to learning, much patience and refinement of one's skills & method, it just goes to show that success can be within reach. Lastly, if I had any criticism for you, from what I've read so far, it would be - with all respect - this: that as interesting as your piece read, it might be even more interesting to read even a little more in-depth background analysis of your respective reasons to open and close your published trades. Cheers.

Last edited:
Peakoil thank you for your comments and I don't see your last comment as a criticism in anyway, the reason for not writing any serious analysis regarding the opening and closing of my trades is simply that my monthly article has to be between 600-700 words long and I simply cannot fit it in, I'm not very technical I just run a daily scan and consider trading some of the stocks that appear regularly on my list, I don't have favourite stocks I want to trade, I keep emotion out of my trading and just trade what appears on my list, with respects to closing trades again there is nothing technical about it I just close at a profit I am happy with and don't worry about what the stock does once I close the trade, some keep going up but some start going down, since I started recording my US trades 4 months back my trading account is currently up 42.35% which I'm more than happy with, my monthly piece is just about an average man who through competition was taught to trade and has continued to do so and wants to keep learning, I also tweet my daily watch list of stocks which sometimes can be a very long list but gives other traders something to think about, some I trade that day or sometimes weeks later, again I tweet when I open a trade and close a trade be it for a profit or lose as I want to be honest and as transparent as possible, please feel free to follow me on Twitter @_JohnWalsh_

Kind Regards

John

Thank you for your response. Space limitations is absolutely understood, and fair enough. BTW, thank you for your follow suggestion, albeit I must admit that I don't venture nearby twitter that often... Still, I look forward to reading below what some others here have made of your column. Kind regards, 'peakoil'.

Hello John, ive been following yoru column in the SBM and also followed the comp you won. Well done!

Hello John, ive been following yoru column in the SBM and also followed the comp you won. Well done!

Hello JCC thank you for the reply I'm pleased you follow my column in SBM and I hope you enjoy it.

Kind Regards

John

Is the watch any closer??
I'm John by the way.

Hello John

The Rolex is a little further away than it was, the next SpreadBet Magazine comes out on Friday so you can read all about it, I write the article a couple of weeks before it comes out and since then my trades are doing better.

Regards

John