MT4 Build 600 Renko Backtesting

BadRobot

Before build 600 it was reasonably simple to backtest renko (offline) charts in MT4. Basically it involved creating a new (dummy) server that was just a folder with the relevant files and creating a history for a normal timeframe but containing the renko data.

Since build 600 though this doesnt seem to work. The issue is the dummy server. It looks like you can now only select a real server.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a way to backtes offline charts now?

Before build 600 it was reasonably simple to backtest renko (offline) charts in MT4. Basically it involved creating a new (dummy) server that was just a folder with the relevant files and creating a history for a normal timeframe but containing the renko data.

Since build 600 though this doesnt seem to work. The issue is the dummy server. It looks like you can now only select a real server.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a way to backtes offline charts now?

I can't answer specifically your question, but I have tried backtesting renko starategies and came to the conclusion that they really can't be reliably backtested. The choice of brick size for one is not uniform, and often the entry (assuming you wait for a brick to form) is often much later than the results.
Don't let me put you off renko, great in my opinion (not as good as P&F with regard to NTB charts but thats another debate) but I would seriously reconsider spending the time in coding something for this.
Just an observation I've had in the past is all
good luck however

I can't answer specifically your question, but I have tried backtesting renko starategies and came to the conclusion that they really can't be reliably backtested. The choice of brick size for one is not uniform, and often the entry (assuming you wait for a brick to form) is often much later than the results.
Don't let me put you off renko, great in my opinion (not as good as P&F with regard to NTB charts but thats another debate) but I would seriously reconsider spending the time in coding something for this.
Just an observation I've had in the past is all
good luck however

I have done loads with renko and know exactly the issues backtesting it in mt4. I have a commercial EA for creating renko for backtest which minimizes 'some' of those issues. It sort of pads out the volume and works well. Well as in at least the opens and closes are in the correct place at least. But you are definitely correct about general accuracy backtesting renko.

I have created EAs that are almost 100% accurate (as in over a couple of hundred trades only half a dozen will be different from the forward test demo) but still lose unfortunately. These EAs only work the logic on bar open, all stops,TP and trailing are done by bars rather than points. Price based SL/TP dont work at all backtesting renko and trailing stops by points are a total no no.

Problem is that nothing works at all since build 600 and renko is not possible at all in mt5. Before anyone corrects me it is by using an indicator but its not at all the same and that is of no use to me.

Managed to sort it.
I found a very old 400 build on an old laptop. I found a zip with the core 509 files on the net so using my build 400 and the core 509 files i have managed to create a working build 509 folder. Turned UAC back on to prevent automatic updating. Backtesting looks to be working now.

Care to post some Renko charts BadRobot - as so few people seem to use them! I'm a huge fan - so seeing how others use them is always of interest.
Tim.

renko results

hi can you please send me or direct me to your renko results. i am curious about the success of this indicator.

thank you
robin

I have done loads with renko and know exactly the issues backtesting it in mt4. I have a commercial EA for creating renko for backtest which minimizes 'some' of those issues. It sort of pads out the volume and works well. Well as in at least the opens and closes are in the correct place at least. But you are definitely correct about general accuracy backtesting renko.

I have created EAs that are almost 100% accurate (as in over a couple of hundred trades only half a dozen will be different from the forward test demo) but still lose unfortunately. These EAs only work the logic on bar open, all stops,TP and trailing are done by bars rather than points. Price based SL/TP dont work at all backtesting renko and trailing stops by points are a total no no.

Problem is that nothing works at all since build 600 and renko is not possible at all in mt5. Before anyone corrects me it is by using an indicator but its not at all the same and that is of no use to me.

hi can you please send me or direct me to your renko results. i am curious about the success of this indicator.

thank you
robin

Renko is not an indicator. Its a different way of charting. Rather than look at price movement over fixed periods of time it looks at price movement by a fixed number of points without any reference to time. Since renko is not supported in mt4 we need EAs or scripts to create offline renko charts. MT5 cant even do this so there are indicators to create renko blocks on time based charts.

You can use any normal system or indicator on renko offline charts but like anything in this business results vary. I have been looking at renko for years on and off with varying degrees of success (or otherwise).