movies on trading

Yes, you are right - and I think it has to do with what country/city/culture they live in. From what I've seen in the media, things are quite different with silicon valley millionaires - different style and mentality.

I mean, in other cultures (Europe is better than the States in this sense), what they do would be considered to be in very poor taste first of all. If you really want to waste your time trying to impress someone, here in Italy you try to display intelligence and culture, rather than what car you drive, what house you have, and so on.

Seriously, playing frisbee is undoubtedly more fun than playing golf, and yet these 25 year old millionaire kids on WSW play golf. Why do they go through that trouble? Because frisbee is free. Why do you have to become stupid when you become rich? Probably that was their mentality even before, and maybe that's why they got rich so quickly. I hope it won't happen to me if I ever become rich. I hope I'll remember to retire, and especially to not tell anyone how much money I have, nor show it off. You'd avoid a lot of problems this way. First of all, envy from others, and second of all being asked for money, robbed, kidnapped, and so on.

I'm surprised by these traders, who are after all intellectuals and not drug lords. Or maybe it's just the director who was told to film the show that way, for a given audience and so on. Maybe he was told to show the greatness of money in every scene of the show. Maybe these people also read books or watch tv, even if it's not too expensive a pastime.

What's the point of buying an expensive car? You're going to gain nothing but worries about that car. The real luxury is not to have a car, and get a cab. Same applies to buying houses, boats... luxury is having a big bank account and no other possessions. Not having a bunch of possessions you have to worry about.

Also, here's another point. Luxury is being an independent retail trader from home, without any burdensome infrastructures. If you go and start an investment bank, then all the advantages are gone. Having a secretary is not a sign of power, but a sign of slavery. You're going to have to worry about the secretary and so on. Same applies to having a maid. You're not free to go around naked in your house, and do whatever you want.... I mean the more possessions and people around you the more you are screwing yourself with your own hands. I don't know much about having money, but if I ever do, I don't think I'll change my mind about applying these principles: keep a big bank account and no possessions, no telling anyone I am rich, not hiring any people to be around me and depend on me. Pretend like I don't have any money, except for the fact that I can do whatever I want, and most important not work. Not work. That's the number one priority. Threre's no way for me that a person who doesn't have to work because he has enough money, should have to go to the office like everyone else, have a secretary, wake up in the morning... no way.

Last edited:
After watching all films on trading recommended by others, I would say those with a specific focus on trading or trading/gambling psychology are only four so far.

These two, which I recommend (for realism, and for being close to my own experience of trading psychology):
Watch Owning Mahowny movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads
Watch Rogue Trader movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads

And these two which I do not recommend (for lack of realism, according to my own experience of trading):
Watch Wall Street movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads
Watch Boiler Room movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads

Nonetheless, these last two are still very interesting and entertaining. (Just like the Wall Street Warriors and Million Dollar Traders shows). But out of everything, I liked best Rogue Trader and Owning Mahony.

Some more links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owning_Mahowny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trader_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gambling_films
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Business_films

Last edited:
WSW is proving to be better than what I initially thought, because the second edition is showing much more content on market analysis and what the job is about and less bull**** about how great it is to be rich:
YouTube - wall street warriors

Season 2 episodes are much more interesting, and there's no problem at all with having to hear millionaire kids bragging about their money, like on Season 1 (Sykes and almost everyone else). Either different protagonists or different director maybe.

This user has the complete collection of WSW videos:
YouTube - gamepro247131's Channel

You definitely should check them all out, despite what I said about them being too fast-paced, and too focused on the "beauty of money" rather than the actual trading needed to get it.

Last edited:
Didn't for one moment suggest the guy was a "market wizard". Simply that his credentials were slightly more impressive than "execution trader". Clearly, we can choose to generalise when it comes to the capabilities of institutional traders, or not.

say that even outright trading can sometimes be about exposing oneself to more than just straightforward directional movement. As such, the management of ones exposure to "other" elements may require a little more thought than simply scaling down position size. But then, as you suggest, it would probably take more than half a brain to work that one out. :)

Err absolutely no idea what this "discussion" is all about, and couldn't disagree more re your second point.

A hedged position has exactly the same net effect as just putting on a smaller position size in the first place.

It's nonsense for anybody not running a 30 billion pension fund.

Also still don't see what talent has to do with a guy executing orders for the buy side and maybe engaging in some shmoosy frontrunning.

Heck, even his employers thought the guy way clueless and wanted to get rid of him:

From my time at Lehman Brothers and JP Morgan I became disillusioned with the industry. I managed sizeable, well balanced porfolios using rules and risk management techniques that my managers refused to understand. Management instructions on how my book should look and how to conduct business with clients never followed any professional trading logic and I became the victim of a political witch-hunt. I was called into a room and offered a sizeable package to leave JP Morgan.

Yeah right THEY didn't understand his hedging nonsense, the banks he worked at never followed any professional trading logic and the poor guy is just a victim lol.

He was probably running around telling people to "hedge" their positions just to manage risk yo bro, same nonsense he was telling that female trader in the show.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Right back to this threads topic I'd say.

You know, from what I've seen on the show episodes, and read on his web site and so on, I think this Anton may have the same problem that many other discretionary traders have: they're good at making money, but they are not good at explaining what they actually do, or teaching what they do.

Maybe this is because they know, instinctively and at a subconscious level, what works best, but they are not used to stopping and explaining, even to themselves, what they do, step by step. These are the same people who often say sentences such as "that's just the way it is", and who tell you illogical things like "you can't automate trading, because markets change" or "the past won't repeat itself" (then why do you even trade discretionary?). They say illogical things because they are not exactly aware of what they are doing, which is right, but it is different from what they say. Similarly, I've met programmers who are really quick, yet can't explain anything they are doing, and may even sound irrational and stupid when they try to explain it. On the other hand, I am slow at learning things, but I am often told that I explain things clearly.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with your opinion about the movie Wall Street becoz you say it does not touch upon psychology and lacks realism yet in the film itself Gecko does say never get emotionally involved with the stock and he also recommend that Bud Fox read the art of war......what else is there really to trading and psychology ?????

trading is war and information is key to success ....i can conclude that the movie is real becoz what they were doing is possible
After watching all films on trading recommended by others, I would say those with a specific focus on trading or trading/gambling psychology are only four so far.

These two, which I recommend (for realism, and for being close to my own experience of trading psychology):
Watch Owning Mahowny movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads
Watch Rogue Trader movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads

And these two which I do not recommend (for lack of realism, according to my own experience of trading):
Watch Wall Street movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads
Watch Boiler Room movie on LetMeWatchThis.com Free Online Movie and TV Downloads

Nonetheless, these last two are still very interesting and entertaining. (Just like the Wall Street Warriors and Million Dollar Traders shows). But out of everything, I liked best Rogue Trader and Owning Mahony.

Some more links:
Owning Mahowny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trader_(film)

Category:Gambling films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Category:Business films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't mean to disrespect a movie you like. What I meant to say is that, as far my personal preference (that should be a given), I rate much higher the other two movies, because I feel they are much more realistic (according to my own experience of trading, and I did specify it, more than once). Obviously you are free to write another post and say that in your opinion the best one and most realistic one is Wall Street. I am sorry if I didn't say it respectfully enough towards the hard work of all those involved in the movie and those who like it. I realize that when I say "I didn't like this movie", there's always a risk of bothering people who like it. So let me rephrase the whole thing:

Out of the four films I listed (the major ones I could watch on trading/gambling psychology), I liked best Rogue Trader and Owning Mahowny, also because they depicted more realistically my own experience of trading.

Another few remarks: I just noticed that Rogue Trader and Owning Mahowny are true stories, whereas the other two are not based on true stories. I always tend to like biographical movies better, even though my top two favorite movies are not biographical (Taxi Driver and Being There).

Also, I noticed that Wall Street is similar to Wall Street Warriors, so I guess that it might be somewhat realistic (according to my judgement, my opinion, my own experience of trading, no disrespect for all those involved in the making of Wall Street and all those who liked it).

Last edited:
yeah its cool at the end of the day whatever we watch its up to the individual to pick out what he has learnt on his own and whatever he dislikes in the movie is another lesson learnt....:D
I didn't mean to disrespect a movie you like. What I meant to say is that, as far my personal preference (that should be a given), I rate much higher the other two movies, because I feel they are much more realistic (according to my own experience of trading, and I did specify it, more than once). Obviously you are free to write another post and say that in your opinion the best one and most realistic one is Wall Street. I am sorry if I didn't say it respectfully enough towards the hard work of all those involved in the movie and those who like it. I realize that when I say "I didn't like this movie", there's always a risk of bothering people who like it. So let me rephrase the whole thing:

Out of the four films I listed (the major ones I could watch on trading/gambling psychology), I liked best Rogue Trader and Owning Mahowny, also because they depicted more realistically my own experience of trading.

Another few remarks: I just noticed that Rogue Trader and Owning Mahowny are true stories, whereas the other two are not based on true stories. I always tend to like biographical movies better, even though my top two favorite movies are not biographical (Taxi Driver and Being There).

Also, I noticed that Wall Street is similar to Wall Street Warriors, so I guess that it might be somewhat realistic (according to my judgement, my opinion, my own experience of trading, no disrespect for all those involved in the making of Wall Street and all those who liked it).

Hiya Travis went googling a bit:

Boiler Room

Trading Places

Traders

Dealers

Bull

Limit Up

Trillion Dollar Bet

Enron: The smartest guys in the room

Capital City

The $treet

Pit: the Movie

Open Outcry

The Pursuit of Happyness OK he built up a brokerage but hey

I'm amazed at how much there is, haven't seen most of those as I didn't know they existed.

Some are or were TV series apparently.

Course there's also an elusive video where Paul Tudor Jones seems to have been embarassing himself, at least by his standards today, was up on youtube a while but he quickly pulled that again.

Dunno where you can see that now for free without catching any viruses lol.

wow...
i found how i'll spend my next nights...

Wall Street the movie you mean? Well, "trading-related" at least - actually I found that Wall Street, Boiler Room,The Pursuit of Happiness, and Lance-James of WSW2 are all about opening new accounts (is it called "broker"?), but they are all still related to trading. Sure, not the day-trading we do on our own, based on technical analysis (rather than fundamental analysis, like they do, or pretend to do). Certainly they would seem more trading-related than Owning Mahowny, which I am trying to get accepted as trading-related because the (gambling) psychology is so close to that of Rogue Trader.

About TreyTzu's question, sorry but it seems to me that actually there are not that many movies about trading as a profession. If you think about how many movies there are about the job of being a policeman... quite surprising.

Holy cow, what an idiot I am! After watching for five straight days Wall Street Warriors 1 and 2, I've started to think that, after all, trading discretionary was easy, and started doing it again. As usual, I made 5 good trades, and one bad trade, which is costing me right now 3 times as much as I made in the previous good trades, because I do not conceive stoplosses... the usual Hail Mary trade... when I say "if I ever get out of this trade, I will never trade discretionary again"... I am totally screwed. Man, do I suck... And now, like the junkie idiot I am, as usual I am waiting to be in the green by even just 1 dollar in order to get out of the trade, or else I feel paralyzed. I suck big time. I can't trade discretionary whatsoever.

Ok, I got out. Lost 600. Idiot, idiot, idiot.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right - and I think it has to do with what country/city/culture they live in. From what I've seen in the media, things are quite different with silicon valley millionaires - different style and mentality.

I mean, in other cultures (Europe is better than the States in this sense), what they do would be considered to be in very poor taste first of all. If you really want to waste your time trying to impress someone, here in Italy you try to display intelligence and culture, rather than what car you drive, what house you have, and so on.

Seriously, playing frisbee is undoubtedly more fun than playing golf, and yet these 25 year old millionaire kids on WSW play golf. Why do they go through that trouble? Because frisbee is free. Why do you have to become stupid when you become rich? Probably that was their mentality even before, and maybe that's why they got rich so quickly. I hope it won't happen to me if I ever become rich. I hope I'll remember to retire, and especially to not tell anyone how much money I have, nor show it off. You'd avoid a lot of problems this way. First of all, envy from others, and second of all being asked for money, robbed, kidnapped, and so on.

I'm surprised by these traders, who are after all intellectuals and not drug lords. Or maybe it's just the director who was told to film the show that way, for a given audience and so on. Maybe he was told to show the greatness of money in every scene of the show. Maybe these people also read books or watch tv, even if it's not too expensive a pastime.

What's the point of buying an expensive car? You're going to gain nothing but worries about that car. The real luxury is not to have a car, and get a cab. Same applies to buying houses, boats... luxury is having a big bank account and no other possessions. Not having a bunch of possessions you have to worry about.

Also, here's another point. Luxury is being an independent retail trader from home, without any burdensome infrastructures. If you go and start an investment bank, then all the advantages are gone. Having a secretary is not a sign of power, but a sign of slavery. You're going to have to worry about the secretary and so on. Same applies to having a maid. You're not free to go around naked in your house, and do whatever you want.... I mean the more possessions and people around you the more you are screwing yourself with your own hands. I don't know much about having money, but if I ever do, I don't think I'll change my mind about applying these principles: keep a big bank account and no possessions, no telling anyone I am rich, not hiring any people to be around me and depend on me. Pretend like I don't have any money, except for the fact that I can do whatever I want, and most important not work. Not work. That's the number one priority. Threre's no way for me that a person who doesn't have to work because he has enough money, should have to go to the office like everyone else, have a secretary, wake up in the morning... no way.

Great post. It's true, and I'm trading to be free not a prisoner going to work every morning. That's the whole point... isn't it? :smart:

I will watch whatever Million Dollar Traders episodes I can find on youtube.com with a different point of view now.

this is on rapidshare if you can find the links for it

i thought it was a funny program, i took the trading in it as seriously as i took the archeology in tomb raider