Most expensive book?

grantx

Yield Curve Estimation and Interpretation, 236 pages, £307

Where possible, the number of pages also needs to noted .

Any advance?

Grant.

£307 is dirt cheap!

Finance > Energy

£825 for the oil trading manual, although it is 825 pages - so cheaper per page than yours.

£725 for the electricity trading manual, which is only 400 pages. I hear it has the world's best MA crossover system, so probably well worth the money.

Last edited:
Yield Curve Estimation and Interpretation, 236 pages, £307

Where possible, the number of pages also needs to noted .

Any advance?

Grant.

My daily trading log book - priceless.
Glenn

Financial Engineering, by Charles Errington on Palgrave;

Borrowed from uni library; kept it about a term too long (its a bloody good book). End of term came with a bill for circa 60 quid IIRC, but I'd lost it. They charged me 125 for another, so call it 180 for a book I only got to borrow.

@ 300 ish pages, over one term, thats about .86 pence per page per day.

Fiftytwo,

Christ, you could photocopy the oil manual at Mr Patel’s on the corner for £85 (actually, he’ll probably give you discount).

“has the world's best MA crossover system.” Interesting point. Sometimes it’s the case an expensive book could reveal a simple point in a paragraph which could save/make you a lot of money.

Perhaps we should include this – expensive but justified.

Expanding on the initial idea, what about books which you consider a bargain? I got Cox & Rubinstein’s Options Markets for £5 new (currently around £75); and I just bought a few minutes ago Stigum’s Money Markets (over 1100 pages and highly rated) for £50 - equivalent to 0.045 pence per page.

Electricity manual at 1.8 pence is the highest so far.

If I may make a suggestion when buying, where a book has gone through a few editions, the previous edition(s) may be almost identical but at half or more the current price. Compare the content pages if you can (sometimes available on Amazon).

Mr Gecko,

One oversight is forgivable but two verges on the sloppy. I hope you don’t list the librarian as a reference on your cv.

Grant.

I've spent countless money on many books. Nearly all of them are not worth the paper they are written on. The only ones I'll keep are by wychoff and "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator". The latter is probably the only worthwhile book in my collection.

I also goes without saying that most authors of books don't - or rather can't - trade so you have to take that into account when you are reading their works.

"Mystery of Banking" by Rothbard, out of print and something of a collectors piece in finance circles, currently 170gbp on Amazon, though I've seen it selling for over 500 in recent month.

Financial Engineering, by Charles Errington on Palgrave;

Borrowed from uni library; kept it about a term too long (its a bloody good book). End of term came with a bill for circa 60 quid IIRC, but I'd lost it. They charged me 125 for another, so call it 180 for a book I only got to borrow.

@ 300 ish pages, over one term, thats about .86 pence per page per day.

have you considered going short naked options yet?

:smart:

"How to Trade Naked Options at 500:1 leverage using Contrarian Elliott Delta Cycles and Gann Square of Eight Fibonacci sequences utilising Gartley Overlays and Astrological Trine Wolff Wave sets with Sloman O.W. splines". The book was quite cheap actually.

It just turned out to be expensive...

"Margin of Safety" by Seth A. Klarman
I bought this book in the early '90s when I was in graduate school for MBA.
The list price of the book was $27 or something around that. I was able to buy
it for $5.95 new because the book wasn't selling.I don't have time to read the book,
but I kept it in mint condition.
Few months ago, I read in a forum similar to this website that the book is listed on
amazon.com for more than $2000.00
Well to make the long story short I sold my copy for $1500.00
I've been investing/trading for sometime but the sale of this book brought me the biggest
return on any single investment I've ever made. WOW

The book is about value investing. And given the high level of demand for it, it is considered as
one the best book on value investing.
By the way the book has been out of print for many years.