monitor problem

JTrader

Hi,

I'm having problems in trying to set up my old PC as when i connect the monitor which i used to use with it, the monitor does not come on. If i then press the menu button the monitor does start but it says "self diagnosis" above a red, green and blue flag, and below the flag it says "no signal". This stays for a few seconds, and then the monitor goes back to standby.
The PC uses windows 98.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to configure the monitor and make it work?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

yes I did have the monitor plugged into the PC and the PC switched on correctly etc.
The only thing i could think of was that there may be a screen resolution or screen refresh rate (hertz) problem, but i can't see how as it's set to 880*600 and 60 hertz. The monitor is 5 year old, but works fine when connected to my new PC.
I have an ATI graphics card and my new PC runs 2 monitors, but the monitor in question is the primary monitor.

On my laptop, there's a "CRT/LCD" button which I have pressed and which has made a difference....

In display properties/advanced, make sure the monitor type is set to Plug and Play.You may have to do this in"safe mode". Keep pressing F8 on poer up until you get a menu up then select no 3, safe mode. That is guaranteed to get your monitor up, albeit at 640 480 16 coluors. Now you can get at the monitor settings.