Mods & Sharky, all new posters to be put into a forum 'sand-pit'...

• Thread starter Black Swan
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6
B

Black Swan

if they get enough rep they're allowed to play with the grown ups, deal or no deal?

Hi BS,
I know where you're coming from and sympathize with your suggestion but, as John says, it's a can of worms. However, I suspect something will have to be done before too long as the sheer number of new posts / threads about nothing in particular are starting to undermine the basic principles of the forum. They are stifling good debate rather than contributing to it. In fact, this thread only appeared on my radar courtesy of John's reply! Had he not seen the thread and posted to it, it could - and probably would - have been lost in a quagmire of mediocrity. Hopefully, other members will come forward with alternative suggestions - or ways in which your idea could be made to work.
Tim.

I remember someone putting forward the idea of temporary daily posting limits for new members. Also I like the idea of negative rep. if you get enough mods could investigate whether you're posting spiel and implement a 3 strike rule to IP perma-ban or something.

How about a probationary period of one month's membership before being allowed to post more than one message. That would seriously cripple the spammers but shouldn't put new people off, especially if there was an automatic message sent by admin after one month saying you are free to post now.
Richard

Last edited:
That would probably just lead to a one month delay in spamming Mr C then I assume it would continue as normal or possibly with an even greater amount of multi-nick spamming.

How about a buddy system. My little one has a buddy at school who guided her for the first few weeks at school. It worked a treat. Obviously those with vendor badges must be excluded. Just give all legendary tarders the power to remove spam as soon as they see it

I like the idea of negative rep. I cant see the value in slowing down the number of posts they make,i would go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes, you might well be right, scose, but at least they'd have to plan their multi-spamming a month in advance rather than just hit t2w with a pile of poo splattered over many threads.
There won't be a single answer, more a series of measures to reduce the spam.
Slow day on the markets today with FOMC and QE2, otherwise wouldn't be here at this time of day.

i best get my post count up before you put me in a sand pit!

i dont think theres anyway you can win really, stop people from posting and nobody new will bother, let them do it and youll get 10 spammers to one genuine person

Ladies and gents . . .
When considering this issue, I suggest keeping it separate from any reputation system. Rep' systems for internet forums like T2W are phenomenally complicated in their own right - as T2W has found out to its cost. Let's just focus on BS' suggestion - or a variation of it - and don't try and bundle it up with a rep' system.
Keep it simple - or as simple as we can.
Tim.

I think the neg rep is a great idea. Imagine how quickly scammers could be neg repped rather than have several members drag out threads.

Or is sharkys income related to post count :D

It would be nice if something were done.

I am sure I am skipping over lots of good stuff in my attempts to avoid the nonsense.

How about a buddy system. My little one has a buddy at school who guided her for the first few weeks at school. It worked a treat. Obviously those with vendor badges must be excluded. Just give all legendary tarders the power to remove spam as soon as they see it

I like the idea of negative rep. I cant see the value in slowing down the number of posts they make,i would go elsewhere.

Thing is the Legendary Member tag doesn't mean much, unless I'm wrong and ODT is Legendary, maybe a Legendary Tard as I think you mis spelt Traders;). Although he would be out as he has the vendor badge...

The whole legendary member/senior/blah blah thing is indeed meaningless as it's based purely on number of posts.
Just because someone's got diarrhoea doesn't mean they producing something sweet smelling.

I think the feature that would improve T2W the most is a "mark post as unread" option... alot of times there are posts that I want to reply to but not that minute, but by virtue of reading them I have to wait for someone else to post again or go and find teh thread, and because the search feature here is cr@p it's pretty difficult.

As for the OP's point... I can't see how it is such a problem tbh. I judge whether to read a thread by who made the last post, not the title.

over at iii.co.uk they make you wait 3 days before you're allowed to post anything on they're boards.
Should be enough to stop a few spammers without scaring genuine new members off.

Is there something today that happened that I missed to kick this off btw?

Additionally, why do people care so much if there are obvious retards? It is far better to have an obvious retard than one who gives the appearance of knowing what they're talking about.

How about not allowing new posters to start a new thread until after 3 months, would get rid of a lot of the "1000% a day" garbage.