mobile trading - how big is the market?

mdtraders

A friend of mine is considering quitting his job along with a colleague to push an application they have developed to allow futures trading using a mobile device - basically the system will work with IB Trader, PATS and proprietary application (using FIX) and they have got some matched funding agreement in place - I am considering also laying down some capital but I am not 100% convinced on the market size - would you (as a professional day trader) actually use it (depending on costs) can you see a market here? There is obviously a trend to go mobile but trading mobile…

Thoughts welcomed

MD

IB already has mobile trading - I've got it loaded on my phone. It's not very sophisticated, but it works if you need it, which is all I would want for mobile trading anyway. If I was away from base for any time I would use my laptop, otherwise I'm around enough to load stops and limits into the system for time away from the screen. So, I would be sceptical of the potential market. On the other hand, most of the spreadbet co's and IB have spent time developing Java applications for mobile trading, so there must be some demand. My feeling is that it would be more for the 'punters' than the serious trading market, and if you're talking about futures, then the contract sizes tend to weed out the happy punters.

I use RD client to trade my VPS and can use my MT4 app. I think other firms would create any mobile platform their rivals can. You could get a piece of the pie in that regard but not a large one without massive funding and marketing imo.