mobile charting

Rex79

Does anyone out there use a small laptop and a mobile connection to monitor streaming charts?? I'm looking for some sort of set-up which I could possibly use whilst in the work place ! (no internet connection in work)

Cheers

Rex

Does anyone out there use a small laptop and a mobile connection to monitor streaming charts?? I'm looking for some sort of set-up which I could possibly use whilst in the work place ! (no internet connection in work)

Cheers

Rex

Yes, I always work away from home and take a lappy with me on all occasions...without advertising I use W*B AND W*LK ...this company offer a usb plug-in so you can connect from anywhere that a mobile phone signal is available....cost for unlimited connection is £29.00 / month.....thats a pound / day...not much when you consider the advantages.

with services like this available...it's hard to see why anyone would bother with PDA's web phones and the like

Cheers

Rex

Hi,

I trade using a tiny IBM Thinkpad X30 and a mobile 3G connection.

Works fine and I can do it from anywhere which I love!

Thanks

Damian

Yes, I always work away from home and take a lappy with me on all occasions...without advertising I use W*B AND W*LK ...this company offer a usb plug-in so you can connect from anywhere that a mobile phone signal is available....cost for unlimited connection is £29.00 / month.....thats a pound / day...not much when you consider the advantages.

with services like this available...it's hard to see why anyone would bother with PDA's web phones and the like
CV

I have been considering going down the laptop/W*B AND W*LK avenue but am worried that i am on the edge of the 3G coverage. Do you think it would cope with running Oanda on GPRS?

Also I note that Vo*af*ne have very recently reduced their tariff to £25 for a like for like service! Not sure why we are using asteriks but thought i would join in.

CV

I have been considering going down the laptop/W*B AND W*LK avenue but am worried that i am on the edge of the 3G coverage. Do you think it would cope with running Oanda on GPRS?

Also I note that Vo*af*ne have very recently reduced their tariff to £25 for a like for like service! Not sure why we are using asteriks but thought i would join in.

I'm not very up on the tec side of things....more of a if it works leave well alone....maybe consider taking your laptop instore and asking for a demo....if they want to sell you something, make them work for it !!

I run Market Maker and Meta Trader 4 charting also MSN Messenger and have no real problems.

cv

Do you mobile users get reliable coverage away from wireless hotspots; what sort of download speeds do you get ?

Any problems with wifi security ?

Do you mobile users get reliable coverage away from wireless hotspots; what sort of download speeds do you get ?

Any problems with wifi security ?

Sorry arnie...POST 2 may have been a little confusing...I don't use my laptop through my phone....the device I use is a stand alone plug in for the laptop...basically wherever you can use a mobile phone with signal...the same goes for this device....does not rely on hotspots.

cv

Thanks counter_violent. I was curious to see if connection speeds and reliability have improved in the last year or so because at £29 a month that's hardly more than I'm paying for landline rental and an ISP.

Out here in the sticks the landline service from BT is truly awful. Hopelessly congested less-than-1meg broadband and nearly three weeks to repair line faults seems to be the norm in areas where BT have no competition from the cable companies.

My mobile signal here is actually pretty good so maybe it's time for another look at that idea. Be great to ditch the loathsome BT and their lousy service.

Thanks for all the responses :

Should have clarified at the start: looking to use marketmaker and metastock8

Counterviolent:

Can you please elaborate on W*B and W*LK (I'm not sure what your refering to ?) if you don't want to say on the board please post a private message.
Also do you require a seperate data feed for metatrader 4 ? (not familiar with this). if so what's good to use.

DamianOakley:
what programmes and platform's do you use with your mobile connection ?

Cheers

Rex79