Middle Office at Barclays/merrill

vinicius

Established member
I got an interview at barclays and merrill lynch (brazil/sao paulo) to work as a trainee in the middle office of the investiment bank.

I went well in the first one and now I will speak with the manager of the sector next week and the one at merrill will take a bit longer.

I have been reading about middle office and what i would do there.

Has anyone have experience in this sector and could tell me what the people in the bank expect me to do?

Thanks

Vini

Yes they may ask you to make the tea and other duties. Please remember Mr Tiddlesworth only takes Sweetex. I made the mistake of giving him real sugar the other day and he spent the entire morning running around like a giddy schoolgirl.

Yes they may ask you to make the tea and other duties. Please remember Mr Tiddlesworth only takes Sweetex. I made the mistake of giving him real sugar the other day and he spent the entire morning running around like a giddy schoolgirl.

Nugget.

I got an interview at barclays and merrill lynch (brazil/sao paulo) to work as a trainee in the middle office of the investiment bank.
I went well in the first one and now I will speak with the manager of the sector next week and the one at merrill will take a bit longer.
I have been reading about middle office and what i would do there.
Has anyone have experience in this sector and could tell me what the people in the bank expect me to do?
Thanks
Vini

Hi Vini,
There are a few other posts answering your question (search for gammajammer). But to summarise. You will be most probably be running daily pnl and risk reports for a desk or desks. You will be expected to problem solve any issues regarding the pnl and risk, you will need to understand the products being traded from a front office perspective and from an accounting (back office) perspective. They will probably want you to take some exams, either accounting or risk. (Depending on your actual specific role). You will then probably dish out your reports and continue problem solving and adding enhancements where needed. Good luck.