Men vs Women

RUDEBOY

Experienced member
Who are the best? What percentage of women make it as oppose to men? I'd say women are more sensible than blokes, but , they can't handle risk as well as a man can( in general). I'm a man( just to let you know where i am coming from), but, how different would the markets be if they were women orientated? Maybe no different at all, but the general theory of evolution is that men are the risk takers. Is it biology, or ...something else?

women are generally better at most things.
trading would not be any different.
social conditioning / expectations may play a big role in perceptions of who is better.

It's true, I think men are bigger risk takers than women financially wise. But I also think us men tend to close our eyes and hope for the best sometimes.

Being a risk taker is not a pre-requisite to being a good trader , taking risks in the right places is and I feel woman are probably a bit more sensible in that regard.

There are definately things that woman do naturally that would help alot in trading.
Woman enjoy details and preparation, be it a dinner function or a new outfit to wear. Us guys just want to get in there get the trade on and make some cash. While they enjoy the detail of preparing for a trade probably more than the trade it self.

A lot of woman keep journals and diaries of their daily lives , surely more than men do. These are usually detailed and in depth. So the idea of keeping a detailed trading journal to a woman would probably make good sense.
To us blokes its an add on at the end, usually started with good intentions but after a short period the consistency goes and the entries become sporadic scrawl and eventually it dies.

Obviously this is a generalization but I think woman have some very good traits for trading.

I wouldn't say women are better at most things( by the way i'm not gay, also), but, they seem to be more level headed. Saying this where would the volume come from?

ERJ, totally agree.But women are less unlikely to anticipate, it's not in thier character.

RUDEBOY said:
ERJ, totally agree.But women are less unlikely to anticipate, it's not in thier character.

Did you mean "less likely to anticipate" ?

I think women will risk less and take more time before setting a trade. I think they can also control their emotions when losing better than us. I'm sure a woman trader will not crash her laptop after losing 6 trades in a row as i did last year :cheesy:
women will not borrow money to cover their loss as men do ;)

In general,women are more cautious then men .

If women are less likely to anticipate, does that mean they are less likely to see patterns that are not there ?
Anticipation implies taking a small data sample, and making a tentative conclusion, and acting upon it.
Maybe women, if they are less likely to anticipate, will wait until the facts emerge before making a decision.

Isnt this why we men,seek out mechanical systems, that take away the emotion, since we are always anticipating - mostly incorrectly !!

My missus doesn't know anything about the markets, but she certainly knows how you to feel about them( calms me down). Should i hand it all over....course not! How boring would that be? All i am saying is that women in my opinion have a better all round approach! Won't make you a million, but, the'll keep you in profit?

This brings in another component. That of the "reason" for trading.

You say, they wont make a million. So what.
Why does making a million got to do with it.
Different people have different aspirations.
Some do want to make a fortune ( I am one of them :) ), but many turn to trading to get out of working for others.
Some because they want to spend more time with family.

So, the reason for trading is also important.

I shared a trading office with 2 lady traders for over a year.

It made for some interesting observation. It is an isolated sample but the only one I have experienced.

I remember they had their 'pets', these were usually a single indicator and when that indicator did it's pet thing it was taken as gospel and cemented a course of action for the next trade.

I always remember how this was at the exclusion of the bigger picture and other conflicting signals. So maybe womans focus is more narrower and they have less anticipation of the bigger picture. Again this was an isolated observation of mine so may be meaning less.

It would be nice to get some women's perspective on this threat.

Come on Ladies!

trendie, women would call 5 points out of a 50 point move in the market a result. 50 points being an average move!

ERA, this is what i am trying to get at. T2W should have a ladies night, or something. But ladies are a distinct lack when it comes to speculating to accumalate.

RUDEBOY said:
Why are the markets male dominated?

2000BC: women should stay at home, and look after kids.
1000AD: women are chattel/property.
1920AD: why are women allowed to vote ?
1980AD: why should women be paid the same money for the same work ?
2005AD: why are the markets male dominated ?

historical perspective.

hopefully, future generations will look back on our era and laugh at how backward we were.

:)
have a good weekend.

trendie, retrospect and human rights laws will not change the floor, biology and genetics are the true contenders here. But you may have a point.

Men have egos, think they are right all the time, will not read directions because they know it all anyway, stubborn, will not admit they are wrong, cannot multi-task, have a one track mind, are impulsive, oh and did I mention.. they will not admit they are wrong? ;)

trendie said:
This brings in another component. That of the "reason" for trading.

You say, they wont make a million. So what.
Why does making a million got to do with it.
Different people have different aspirations.
Some do want to make a fortune ( I am one of them :) ), but many turn to trading to get out of working for others.
Some because they want to spend more time with family.

So, the reason for trading is also important.

Do you mean " What does making a million have to do with it"?

Racer, so what are women( without being sexist). Get this, the year 2000ish tech stocks explode, look at the chart. now imagine the same, but with women in control. It wouldn't be a phenomenem, but rather a zit on the face of the market?