Maybe just lucky?

thank you all for your kind words..im sure i will get there if i keep learning and studying. i don't think i can cope with this plus 500 CFDs anymore...maybe if i had money to experiment with it would be good but i don't right now. I'm sure you all are a heck of a lot more expert than myself and thanks for all the advice to a rookie ;)

although there is an old saying that the harder you work the luckier you get .....which seems to work in trading....10,000 hours plus and the luck starts to arrive ....eventually

although there is an old saying that the harder you work the luckier you get .....which seems to work in trading....10,000 hours plus and the luck starts to arrive ....eventually
Um, I beg to differ, a bit...

It is absolutely true that "hard work" can lead to better results but the 10,000 hours bit is sort of cobblers in that it was an under-contextualised device used by Malcolm Gladwell on which to hang a popular book.

He based his ideas on (i.e nicked) the work of the psychologist Anders Ericsson (The Road to Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts and Sciences, Sports and Games) whose tenet was specifically deliberate practice. Ericsson has been working on aspects of "Expertise" for the best part of 30 years and has almost single-handedly defined the field.

IMO Gladwell is a derivative hack given to omissions and distortions to boost book sales and the 10,000 hours has become a widely misunderstood idea thanks mainly to him.

If anyone is seriously interested in doing "hard work" research on this, then read Ericsson, not Gladwell :)

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and also trading. I've started trading in commodities and I'm not sure how really but I only started beginning of August and I've made a profit of 3200. Ihave a feeling I may have just had been a bit lucky as picked oil which has gone up. I'll be upset if I start to do crap as I started doing it from desperation as don't want to return to my job.
I only invested 800 quid though so I'm real pleased. I have read a couple of books since I started...shares made simple.
Refreshing to hear positive starts and success, but you are right to be wary and continue your education, I believe we must always be learning

It is absolutely true that "hard work" can lead to better results but the 10,000 hours bit is sort of cobblers in that it was an under-contextualised device used by Malcolm Gladwell on which to hang a popular book. He based his ideas on (i.e nicked) the work of the psychologist Anders Ericsson (The Road to Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts and Sciences, Sports and Games) whose tenet was specifically deliberate practice. Ericsson has been working on aspects of "Expertise" for the best part of 30 years and has almost single-handedly defined the field.
Just seen this on the BBC. Worth looking at if you're interested in self-improvement from a practical point of view.