Article Managing Your Mind’s Energy Pie

T2W Bot

Staff member
1,454 55
There are too many items to keep track of in the market. The trader must understand that he cannot "know it all". If you could, you would be the ultimate trading machine. This being said, we realize that we are imperfect. We have only 100% of our mental energy to use in any given time frame. Some of it is used in maintaining our bodies ? breathing, walking, talking, etc. Some is used in keeping track of our lives ? what time is it, did I turn off the coffee pot, and did I pay the phone bill? Most of it is used in trying to understand the complexity of our world ? the sensory input from our senses and their identification and categorization. In using this last energy, we tend to trap ourselves into sorting out signals and identifying them with past similarities, to make things easier and to conserve on this energy. Unfortunately, this means it is difficult for us to learn new things clearly and cleanly. A simple example is the color red. Most of us drive a car; therefore, red...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,395 1,170
There is a steady stream of this type of amorphous generality that is applied to just about any endeavour and trading seems to cop more than its fair share. I used to imagine the seemingly constant supply was as a consequence of equally constant demand from those who think trading is 80% psychological. But I’m no longer convinced there is that level of demand and I’m absolutely certain the 80% figure bandied about is complete tosh.

Those that are in their ‘80% psychological’ phase of trading have either blown their first account (or two) and/or realise it’s all a lot harder than they thought. It’s a welcome respite from wracking your brains trying to figure out what to do next. It’s a resting state for traders that are going to make it and also for those that are moving on to better things, either with or without that final shot at it. No indicators, no price time or volume. No fundamentals. No analysis. No research. Just the equivalent of easy listening for tired (and largely broke) wannabe traders.

No disagreement with Mike or what he has written, only in that it’s just more of the same and doesn’t really take any real effort to produce (pretty much boilerplate across all disciplines) or read and consequently has a similar degree of benefit for the reader. The other issues I have is that it takes time away from doing something more utilitarian in support of developing a successful trading approach while lulling the lazy recipient into the Belief they have done something useful by an uncritical absorption of what is effectively muzak for the troubled trader’s mind…

If it were a post, I’d ignore it, but there is something about the ‘elevation’ of prose to article standard that indicates to me that it is, or should be, something of special merit, interest or novelty to bring to our attention. This article has none of those qualities.

Many traders suggest “Trading in the Zone” and “The Disciplined Trader” as hallmark works on the psychological aspects of trading. I have both in my library and have read them both too - when I was in my ‘trading is 80% psychological’ phase. And I thought so too, then. But they tackle the issue from the wrong angle too – you can’t handle psychological issues related to trading from a trading perspective. You have a platform problem. You can’t tackle any problem from the same platform on which it is created or exists. You need to subtle with these blighters and approach them without them realising they’re being approached at all. You have to go in through the back door.

The solution is a simple one. You pretend.

Trading is 100% trading. And you are 100% psychological.

Sort out the trading and you wont have any psychological issues – trust me. LOL

How many times have you got really good at something and with that competence found confidence and a sense of ‘Not Caring’? It comes with the territory. You have to get good at ‘it’ (whatever ‘it’ is) first before you can feel good about being good at it. Savvy?

Anyone who has tried the various ‘mental game of..’ Golf/Tennis/Knitting – whatever, knows, unless they were one of the outliers, that it simply doesn’t work. You need to get good at the tangible endeavour level before you can start to feel good at the psychological level. No amount of mental gymnastics will do that ahead of you actually becoming competent.

There is a shortcut.

Pretend.

While you’re working on all you need to sort out to ensure your trading is approaching perfection (intelligent setups, timely and accurate datafeed, adequate platform resource, adequate capital, trading plan, money management, risk management, entry criteria, stop placement, trade development profile, execution plan etc) pretend you’re the trader you know you’ll need to be n order for all of that to work OK.

Maintain a Distance from your Actions. Keep an Objective and Detached View of all you’re doing and Develop a Deep Sense of Not Caring. You’ll need to pretend in the beginning, but it gets much easier. Your successes will ensure that.

Trader333

8,502 881
You need to subtle with these blighters and approach them without them realising they’re being approached at all. You have to go in through the back door.
Yes I agree with this.

Maintain a Distance from your Actions. Keep an Objective and Detached View of all you’re doing and Develop a Deep Sense of Not Caring. You’ll need to pretend in the beginning, but it gets much easier. Your successes will ensure that.
I know of some people that have accelerated this aspect by using self hypnosis and had good results with it. Essentially it works by making the subconscious mind not care because to the subconscious there is no difference between reality and fiction.

Paul

Reactions: nine and Spam Man

Windowsill

305 39
Its all procrastination really. If you're serious about trading it involves some study....but once you have established the basics...just get on with it and try to stay disciplined. Any effort on searching for the Grail is pointless, just like watching Sat TV. One really needs to be objective and question the motives behind the 95% of rubbish bandied about regards trading and find the 5% worth reading, this of course won't be an easy read....it might involve effort, actually questioning peconceived ideas and changing how one perceives this arena!!

If one keeps blowing accounts!!! then you obviously have too much money already in my opinion. This mindset is not conducive to trading whatever you may be lead to believe from "Stock Market Wizards."

"It’s a welcome respite from wracking your brains trying to figure out what to do next." I love that line!!

But its what you need to do.lol

Reactions: bizmanny

blackcab

Established member
523 51
Look at their eyes

I look at the author's photo when I read an article and use my reaction as a guideline. Thick as two short planks, most of them, with their dense faces trying hard to look profound or authoritative or wise and their bouffant hair, they're framed by the corporate photographer sitting half side-on to the camera in thinking-in-action pose, or smirking like a sales rep, against a pastel marbelised backdrop. Their desperate, piggy eyes betraying the lack of profound, authoritative or wise thoughts in their slow heads.

This one's bald and bearded, so an academic, authoritative, wise shot, definitely. Lean forward slightly and quiz the camera like you've been caught mid-profound-thought. Look into my eyes. I am The Master. I have a mysterious yet accessible aura, like a clever uncle. You want to give me your money in return for my profound wisdom, captured in my many e-books with large fonts and gaudy coloured headings.

Of the photos of the authors submitting their collateral here, scraped from their AdSense-revenue-generating, search engine-optimised Web sites, how many actually look intelligent to you, enough to make you think they may be cleverer than you?

Having said that, he might be fine for all I know. I just wanted a rant.

tightstops

245 19
funny, ive often thought similar when the guys trying hard to look serious and important and give the impression he knows what hes on about before hes even said anything it probably means hes full of shyt. having said that when a cameras pointed at me i suddenly become very aware of myself and end up making some sort of stupid grin. i suppose you kind of plaster a face on for the occasion and if looking sage like is going to sell a couple of extra cds or books why not

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,395 1,170
having said that when a cameras pointed at me i suddenly become very aware of myself and end up making some sort of stupid grin. i suppose you kind of plaster a face on for the occasion
I always take a face from the ancient gallery...then I walk on down the hall...

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,395 1,170
Always a welcome diversion.

But Vad is one of those rare individuals for whom I do have a good word.

Can I suggest that only those willing to submit photos of themselves can tack the pee out of others?

Mine attached. (Totally domesticated as you can see).

Attachments