"Make me a market"

abl

2 0
Hi,

I have an interview scheduled with a prop trading firm next week and was just trying to understand how to answer the "Make me a market" type questions.

From some basic googling, I realize that the immediate answer is to calculate in your mind what you think would be a fair answer and then respond by building a spread around it.

For example, lets say the question was "Make me a market on a pen."

If I thought that the fair price would be around $1 but was not sure if it could go as low as $0.5 or as high as $1.5, I would respond with "Buy at $0.5 and Sell at $1.5".

Now I am trying to understand what the interviewer's follow-up questions can be? How will the interview progress after this?

I am sure responses would be useful to a lot of aspiring traders. :)

kimo'sabby

Experienced member
1,622 287
Hi,

I have an interview scheduled with a prop trading firm next week and was just trying to understand how to answer the "Make me a market" type questions.

From some basic googling, I realize that the immediate answer is to calculate in your mind what you think would be a fair answer and then respond by building a spread around it.

For example, lets say the question was "Make me a market on a pen."

If I thought that the fair price would be around $1 but was not sure if it could go as low as $0.5 or as high as $1.5, I would respond with "Buy at $0.5 and Sell at $1.5".

Now I am trying to understand what the interviewer's follow-up questions can be? How will the interview progress after this?

I am sure responses would be useful to a lot of aspiring traders. :)

$0.45 is all you will get off me, but I am willing to do better than average volume at that price.

abl

2 0
$0.45 is all you will get off me, but I am willing to do better than average volume at that price.

Thanks for the reply kimo'sabby!

I understand this is the start of a negotiation.

Since the bid that I am getting is lower than my own initial bid(of $0.5), I am now thinking maybe there is some information about the pen that I don't have. It is likely that the true value of the pen is lower than what I thought it would be. Also since the bid of $0.45 is at a 'higher than average volume' it is likely that it is discounted from the true value. That said, I only have one reference point to revise my quote so I will only revise it marginally.

My revised quotes would be:
Bid at $0.4, Offer at $1.2
(I have intentionally lowered my spread from $1 to $0.8)

Am I doing this right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock