Macd

BBTrader

Hi:
Has anyone used any settings on MACD which work on any market? Woudl be interested to hear your comments.

BB Trader

BBTrader said:
Hi:
Has anyone used any settings on MACD which work on any market? Woudl be interested to hear your comments.

BB Trader

BB ... You had better stay with the default settings while you figure out what the MACD does.
then you can answer your own question.

Hi Twalker,

Thanks for your reply - Have tried some settings other than default, which are 1, 13 & 16 0HLC ($ VIX one minute) divided by 4 and simple moving average on oscillator. This setting gives me mountain peaks which coincides with support and resistant zones on my DTZ program and this prompts me to buy or sell. What do you think?

Regards BBTrader

commanderco said:
BB ... You had better stay with the default settings while you figure out what the MACD does.

commanderco said:

5 34 5 is a better setting than the standard imo. MACD will not work in non-trending markets whatever the settting.

BBTrader said:
Hi:

BB Trader

BB Trader

From what I have seen MACD works better with currencies than indices or shares. One reason for this is probably due to the fact that currencies are 24hrs a day where indices and shares have gaps in the charts in the mornings. I dont think you can make money out of the standard MACD settings.

Breadman

Hi jcwonder8

Thanks for your reply - Have tried some settings other than default, which are 1, 13 & 16 0HLC ($ VIX one minute) divided by 4 and simple moving average on oscillator. This setting gives me mountain peaks which coincides with support and resistant zones on my DTZ program and this prompts me to buy or sell. What do you think?

Regards BBTrader

jcwonder8 said:
5 34 5 is a better setting than the standard imo. MACD will not work in non-trending markets whatever the settting.

commanderco

Thanks for your reply - Have tried some settings other than default, which are 1, 13 & 16 0HLC ($ VIX one minute) divided by 4 and simple moving average on oscillator. This setting gives me mountain peaks which coincides support and resistant zones on my DTZ program and this prompts me to buy or sell. What do you think?
with
Regards BBTrader

Hi Breadman
Thanks for your reply - Have tried some settings other than default, which are 1, 13 & 16 0HLC ($ VIX one minute) divided by 4 and simple moving average on oscillator. This setting gives me mountain peaks which coincides support and resistant zones on my DTZ program and this prompts me to buy or sell. What do you think?
with

breadman said:
BB Trader

From what I have seen MACD works better with currencies than indices or shares. One reason for this is probably due to the fact that currencies are 24hrs a day where indices and shares have gaps in the charts in the mornings. I dont think you can make money out of the standard MACD settings.

Breadman

BBTrader said:
commanderco

with
Regards BBTrader

In answer to your original question, there are no settings that fit all markets.
You must come to grips with any indicator that is of interest and realise their limitations.
Firstly, what markets are you interested in and what time frames.
What style of trading do you want to follow.
Deal with first things first. Indicators as a weapon of choice are well down the menu.

commanderco said:
In answer to your original question, there are no settings that fit all markets.
You must come to grips with any indicator that is of interest and realise their limitations.
Firstly, what markets are you interested in and what time frames.
What style of trading do you want to follow.
Deal with first things first. Indicators as a weapon of choice are well down the menu.

that is a good one, start with a rookie question on macd and then fire off your volatility based futures day trading system to put all on back foot! I'd be interested in a screen shot for this, have been playing around with tick, trin, advance decline but not vix, basically came to conclusion that price action with volume and to a lesser extent time of day is key and all else is distraction but I haven't looked at vix. Still looking for that indicator which performs like the wisetrade one (green press buy, red, press sell) does in the ads, is vix it? Is Socrates holding the vix grail in Castle Perilous?

BBTrader said:
Hi Breadman
with

BB Trader,

I have looked at MACD with ftse 100 futures, and currencies usd/gbp and usd/eur. My advise on the settings is to have the middle number the highest with the first number the next highest and the last number the lowest ie (13,16,1), I have just used these numbers as a example. You will have to do a bit of testing.

Breadman

Hi, Goslin is a popular alternative. If I remember correctly his settings are 3, 10, 16 & 2...........but U need to read his book to understand how he uses it and in particular the medium line which has the greatest significance.

Not my cup of tea and certainly not suitable for trade entries on its own but if u're interested in MACD then its worth a look.

All the best

Smiley

jcwonder8

Thanks for that - attached is screenshot (Thursday ym action) with zone numbers on which coincide with the peaks on a $ vix chart one minute with an MACD setting 1, 10 & 16 The 1 setting gives you the sharp peaks - if you have any better numbers let me know. Without the zone numbers I used to be trading blind. The $ vix chart I use with the same settings on a one minute ym chart.
Cheers ~~~ BBTrader

jcwonder8 said:
that is a good one, start with a rookie question on macd and then fire off your volatility based futures day trading system to put all on back foot! I'd be interested in a screen shot for this, have been playing around with tick, trin, advance decline but not vix, basically came to conclusion that price action with volume and to a lesser extent time of day is key and all else is distraction but I haven't looked at vix. Still looking for that indicator which performs like the wisetrade one (green press buy, red, press sell) does in the ads, is vix it? Is Socrates holding the vix grail in Castle Perilous?

Attachments

• ym5.JPG
    ym5.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 362