Looking for Seed Capital to Start a Quant Prop Trading House

phoenixcapital

Have posted a few times (unsuccessfully) on this forum with view to setting up a Quantitative Hedge Fund.

I am now looking at the possibility of setting up a prop trading house that will use a long only quantitative global strategy for trading highly liquid equities.

The objective is to get at least £500K together and trade the money as a personal account for about a year, with view to converting it to a Hedge Fund at the end of this period.

Looking at a return of around 20% per annum.

The strategy has been aggressively back tested over an extended period and produces consistent returns.

Anyone interested in investing their hard earned cash?

Contact me on [email protected] for further details.

surely if you have the skill set to trade a big hedge fund getting 500k together shouldn't be to hard? i certainly wouldn't give my cash to someone who hadn't at least made a fortune first them selves.

Genics, you're absolutely right. But I was involved in implementing the same strategy for a long/short fund at a major investment house and with the exception of the past few months, it has produced consistent returns since inception over three years ago. +10% - 2006, +12% - 2007, +6% - June 2008. AUM reached 270MM in June, but has suffered from some redemptions since. With my indicators showing that a value cycle is on the way, a smaller long only investment vehicle like a prop trading outfit could benefit significantly.

I'm putting in 100K myself, but only looking for another 4 individuals to put in the rest. Assuming the PA does well over the next 6 to 12 months, then it will give major investors some confidence to put in more money and on that basis I could setup the Hedge Fund.

In addition, any investors that are willing to back the PA, will automatically become partners in the Hedge Fund.

So potentially a great opportunity.

Hi Phoenix, welcome.

I've taken a look at your site; first of all I would say that the 'Welcome' page might need a re-write; most people who have come as far as visiting your site and are in a position to invest with you will be fully aware of what derivatives are - referring to them as 'complex instruments' might come across as patronising to some.

Secondly, you offer investors a 'guaranteed consistent return'... you might want to change the wording of this a little, unless of course you are personally willing to cover any loss/shortfall that the fund may suffer.

Other than that I wish you every success in your venture; don't be put off by people who might throw ridicule at you like 'I needed a good laugh', it's far easier to poke fun at someone than it is to stand on your own feet and try and make it work.

SL

Genics, you're absolutely right. But I was involved in implementing the same strategy for a long/short fund at a major investment house and with the exception of the past few months, it has produced consistent returns since inception over three years ago. +10% - 2006, +12% - 2007, +6% - June 2008. AUM reached 270MM in June, but has suffered from some redemptions since. With my indicators showing that a value cycle is on the way, a smaller long only investment vehicle like a prop trading outfit could benefit significantly.

I'm putting in 100K myself, but only looking for another 4 individuals to put in the rest. Assuming the PA does well over the next 6 to 12 months, then it will give major investors some confidence to put in more money and on that basis I could setup the Hedge Fund.

In addition, any investors that are willing to back the PA, will automatically become partners in the Hedge Fund.

So potentially a great opportunity.
Are you authorised by anyone?

So have you become a trader or managed to recruit someone then? If I remember correctly, you were previously looking for traders for your hedge fund - now it sounds like you were a trader all along.

Also, it's unclear what you're trying to achieve here - are you wanting to start a prop firm, or get backed by a prop firm, or just misusing the phrase "prop trading house" to mean unregulated investment vehicle?

Last edited:
I thought your website was great, thanks.

I needed a good laugh.

That's unecessary - it's obvious that literally 10's of dollars have gone into building that web site. :rolleyes:

Gotta love the address on the site too:

Phoenix Capital
Hedge Fund Management
Suite 370
8 Shepherd Market
Mayfair
London W1J 7JY

Royal Mail disagrees:
Mail Boxes Etc
8 Shepherd Market
LONDON
W1J 7JY

Honestly - can't you plump for a serviced office address ? It is rather pushing it to call a mailbox a "Suite in Mayfair" dontcha think ?

Owner of the site - Zubair Ansari....
http://www.7city.com/pdf/cqf/qualified/june04.pdf - well done chap - passed his course with distinction
http://db.riskwaters.com/data/hfr/launches/June2004.pdf - launched his hedge fund

Interesting stuff...

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys! PualoP you're right, I probably am barking up the wrong tree on this forum. Getting you chaps enrolled in my pipe dream is like getting blood out of a stone!.....I may as well go back to sweeping the streets! Z