Lockheed-Martin fusion energy revolution?

Can't just dismiss claims from the firm that has been in the forefront of research for so long.

In 1986, MFTF-B was completed at a cost of $372 million but, for budgetary reasons, was never turned on.

Strange ?

Fusion is the answer to power generation imho

Can't just dismiss claims from the firm that has been in the forefront of research for so long.

In 1986, MFTF-B was completed at a cost of $372 million but, for budgetary reasons, was never turned on.

Strange ?

Fusion is the answer to power generation imho

I kind of agree (well I have to - my son works in that area! - Not for Lockhheed though!).

But there seemed to be a lot of scepticism over the Lockheed announcement. However, I'll keep an open mind. :D

Mind you, it seems that fusion is not quite as safe as people might think. No direct radioactive waste as such, but plenty of neutrons, which have to be shielded against, and which also can (apparently) degrade the shielding material, which then becomes radioactive. That's an oversimplification of course, but, well, it still has to be treated with respect.

Of course it isn't, but, as with any energy technology, it get safer over time as they make new technology to overcome problems. Sure beats fission though.