Best Thread Live Trading and General Chat Lounge

lots of odd moves today,done me up

Market's being setup, imo. Someone wants to bring in as many shorts as possible. It's going to blow upwards once they cover.

Speculation, of course, but that's what this business is all about.

stopped -3.50
done for today.
Might as well have handed out $100 bills on the street corner.

theres virtually no timeframe in which EURUSD is in an uptrend.

a level of support or resistance needs to be very strong indeed to counteract the trend sufficiently for +ve expected profitability, in my humble opinion. there are game changers out the dont get me wrong, but i'm talking in terms of averages.

Vielgeld, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, let me know your trade rationale

Seems like I was completely wrong on this one. What I thought was a trap for shorts turned out to be a trap for longs.

The trend is indeed down on all my t/fs. It's just that all the news and wavering about had shorts coming in strong, but it wasn't moving. I should have realized that the big down moves were longs covering. Damn.

Eh, doesn't matter. Support at 1.32 is strong, so it's all good and it'll go back up.

Hmm, i see why you say that,but if gbp starts to fall then we could see eur/usd fall a lot further yet

Btw, I use Oanda's sorta' crude order book to measure some of this. Have a look at my rationale:

@9:40am:

Ton of shorts below the level. If they covered, it would'a blown up. What I didn't account for was the multitude of longs at various levels above. They would have wanted to cover first.

@10:40am:

Result is shorts got what they wanted despite being the majority position at that level. Just goes to show I have a lot more to learn yet.

But look at the buy orders around 1.32, then check the liquidity vacuum above. This thing is good to go up to at least 1.324. Enough for a profit on my end.

i havent called any trades for last few hrs as im short in options on gbp/jpy to be below 121.10 and gbp/usd to be below 1.5540 today. not looking good,but have averaged in at vg prices so a 20 pip fall on gj is good but need about 60 on cable to break even

yes but theres also the view that you should trade exactly opposite to retail traders as retail traders tend to lose money.

those charts are interesting i must say, though, nice find

short EURUSD 1.3197 stop 1.3219

lets have some volume please into EU EOD.

EDIT: I do love it when the EUR and GBP synchronise their breaks

Last edited:
Got blown! I've been hella wrong on this one. :LOL:

yes but theres also the view that you should trade exactly opposite to retail traders as retail traders tend to lose money.

those charts are interesting i must say, though, nice find

How would you determine this? I'd have said the retails were the shorts here.

Got blown! I've been hella wrong on this one. :LOL:

How would you determine this? I'd have said the retails were the shorts here.

there's a certain amount of "gaming the retailers" that goes on at instutions and charts like that from Oanda make it easy as pie.

But then again the size of the retail market is so small (<1%) that maybe this is less prominent in FX than single stocks for example. either way, dont take those stats too seriously

I see, thanks for that. I'm aware of the tricks, but not yet used to the actual experience of it. I'll remember this one.

I'll keep a look on the order book for now. Despite the trickery, it might still prove somewhat useful. I wouldn't want to discard it outright just yet.

ugh, closed EUR at +3, thoroughly bored with today.

today: - 18
total: +33.75, but marked to market that gold-S&P basis trade is showing ~15pips.

GN all

short cad chf at .9131 sl .9155 worth a shot,tight stop but 5 pip spread so need accuracy with this

Been a hard day today,Im down. i started really well byut gave it all back and more with trades and options. This could get it back.

Have set to take 1/2 off at +20, as may be away from screen

ffs, no volume at all on this cad/chf trade. ive now got an 8 pip spread on the pair. sold at 31 and only 1 pip ahead. I took the trade as i believed there may still be action.