Live & Die by the sword....

Thanks for that.

Have now set up a FX layout sheet with GBP/USD so I can see how the trade goes. So far so good.

What exit point are you looking for? Another toss of the magic coin? :cheesy:

nah, my exit is a 50 point retrace from the high when in the trade. my stop is currently 1.8113

that is the only exit.

forces trades to run, and keeps losses to a minimum..

now where have i heard that maxim before?

:)

fc

oof. spoke too soon. stopped out at 1.8113 for -22

tails came up, so short from 1.8109.

overall score:

Trades:1
Wins:0
Cum Profit: (22)

hmm..

FC

FetteredChinos said:
oof. spoke too soon. stopped out at 1.8113 for -22

tails came up, so short from 1.8109.

overall score:

Trades:1
Wins:0
Cum Profit: (22)

hmm..

FC

Bet that is the easiest 100odd pips you have ever had FC.

G-Man

coming along nicely isnt it so far :)

still, it should bounce of 1.8000 (you'd have thought!!!)

though at the moment, its just sitting there, which is a tad ominous for the bulls.

stopped out at 1.8043 for +66

overall score:

Trades:2
Wins:1
Cum Profit: 44

no more trades today, as things get a bit thin in the evenings..

more tomorrow.

FC

it seems like the random entry worked today purely because of your money management. I like the idea of random entry, but I still think it only serves to prove the importance of money management. I'm watching this thread with interest though.

Once again FC, your hair brained schemes are keeping us enthralled.

precisely dan!

im just coding something up in excel at the moment to try to backtest the ideas for myself. i see no reason why it shouldnt work in theory.

FC

righty ho, some sample results. trading once per day.

my data includes weekends at the moment, and i cant be arsed to change it all, so it should roll things over the duration of the weekend and until we get a valid exit signal. im testing on data since december 2003 and for approx 500 trades.

i will post a few sample runs, and then also some sample equity curves. remember, all from random entry, and using a 50 pt trailing stop.

FC

Total Points 9019
Trades 526
Wins 278
Win % 52.9%
Max Drawdown 488
Pts per trade 17.14

Total Points 8043
Trades 523
Wins 264
Win % 50.5%
Max Drawdown 543
Pts per trade 15.38

Total Points 8879
Trades 544
Wins 298
Win % 54.8%
Max Drawdown 257
Pts per trade 16.32

Total Points 9608
Trades 551
Wins 289
Win % 52.5%
Max Drawdown 657
Pts per trade 17.44

fairly consistent.

please remember that i am using hourly data, so a few assumptions have had to be made. perhaps someone with tradestation or equivalent could run a basket of tests.

what could indicate a coding error is the >50% win rate, but i will investigate further, as on first sight, it all appears ok.

hmm...

FC, been following you along - throughout this month (all the stuff, etc. etc.)

Still can't fathom your system!!??!!! LOL!

This, perhaps, may not be the forum to ask the question, however, call me old fasioned or a complete dunce, but I've noticed on several occasions that some traders reffer to "witching" - can you (or anyone else) enlighten me as to what this term is, and all the stuff that goes along with it?

DOHHH!

good trading!

Piper

witching, as far as i am aware, is when the derivatives markets expire.

eg, when the futures markets, stop futures, options etc reach maturity.

when they do, eg last week or so of each quarter, you tend to see exceptional volatility as people are shifitng out of positions and rolling into the next quarter's contracts and so on.

its generally wise to keep clear of the markets on expiry day, as things can get more than a little hairy.

eg last week (or whenever it was, im losing my mind) the June FTSE futures expired with a final 70 point spike in a few minutes that wasnt reflected on the cash index.

there are probably some more detailed explanations on this site somewhere.. a search should yield results.

fc

Arf,

the lucky coin came up heads, so its long from 1.8047, stop at 1.7997 and trailing.

lets see how today goes..

yup.. course i am :)

only way to test a system is live.. paper trading just doesnt do it for me.

nearly got stopped out on the spike down then, but its recovering...

FetteredChinos said:
hmm, stopped out for -50

now short from 1.8004 :(

bit wary of shorting at support...
and I guess that coin worked this time... interested where your trailing stop would be at the mo..

its at 1.7958 so if i were to get stopped out, i would be basically B/e for the day..

trend still looks down.

fc

FetteredChinos said:
yup.. course i am :)

only way to test a system is live.. paper trading just doesnt do it for me.
Yup, paper trading can be a great preliminary tester, but even the best paper traded systems can go tits up on the battlefield. Got to get out there amongst the muck and bullets :LOL: