Best Thread Live Cable Trading

marmoset said:
Point taken Baruch, in fact, in hindsight it WAS stupid. I mean, there I go pyramiding down, for a "sell the rumour, buy the news", and instead of reversing to buy, I sell. Guess the monkey on my shoulder farted into my brain. :LOL:

Anyway, regarding the 20pip stoploss, I have no fixed rules for it, just use gutfeel.

But I can see you place a 20 pips stop when you make a new trade?

I like this "sell the rumour, buy the news" strategy. Going with consensus before the news, and then just before the news go opposite? Even if the market is right, I suppose the move will not be great, because there was no surprise? Maybe we should make some research to see how good it is?

Baruch said:
But I can see you place a 20 pips stop when you make a new trade?

I like this "sell the rumour, buy the news" strategy. Going with consensus before the news, and then just before the news go opposite? Even if the market is right, I suppose the move will not be great, because there was no surprise? Maybe we should make some research to see how good it is?

Oh, that! I've set it up like that on my machine as a default. Like that I'm always secured. I usually adjust them then to where I feel it's more appropriate.

Actually, "sell the rumour, buy the news" is the contrarian approach of the classic "buy the rumour, sell the news" (used in the stock world).

Personally I have no preference as to which one to use, I just have a good look at how the run-up to the news (starting about an hour to 1 1/2 hours beforehand) is developing. Up-grind? Go short. Down-grind? Go long. Usually good for 50pips. :)

marmoset said:
Oh, that! I've set it up like that on my machine as a default. Like that I'm always secured. I usually adjust them then to where I feel it's more appropriate.

Actually, "sell the rumour, buy the news" is the contrarian approach of the classic "buy the rumour, sell the news" (used in the stock world).

Personally I have no preference as to which one to use, I just have a good look at how the run-up to the news (starting about an hour to 1 1/2 hours beforehand) is developing. Up-grind? Go short. Down-grind? Go long. Usually good for 50pips. :)

Yes, today they were expecting a good GDP number, so it was a down-grid before the number, and a bad house number, so it was up-grid before the number. If we had taken a opposite position just before the release of the numbers, we had been right both times.

Baruch said:
Yes, today they were expecting a good GDP number, so it was a down-grid before the number, and a bad house number, so it was up-grid before the number. If we had taken a opposite position just before the release of the numbers, we had been right both times.

Too bad it always happens when I have to go to work, I can usually only catch the first one.
It's one of my projects pending, write a time-limited auto-trader to do just that...

marmoset said:
Too bad it always happens when I have to go to work, I can usually only catch the first one.
It's one of my projects pending, write a time-limited auto-trader to do just that...

Well, I will start trading this strategy tomorrow - paper trading or maybe demo trading to be sure if it works, before I risk real money. Let's keep in touch.

Baruch said:
Thank you for the link. ;) But I can't open the charts because I am not a member.
All the original text:

Hello, I am new to this forum, but not to Forex. I would like to share a way of trading the news with a high rate of w/l trades. This strategy is for high volatile moves. No indicators are needed. No RSI, No MACD, no nothing! Just the pair you are interested in on a 1 minute time frame! Here is how it works! If this has been posted on this forum before, I am sorry, but I came up with this last year, and have been trading it sense.

Set-Up I trade the following news events: NFP, FOMC, Trade Balance, interest rate statments, consumer price index, and gross domestic products. These seam to move the best for this strategy.

The country, and pairs are usd, jpy, uk, BOC, E-12.
NOTE: the wicks, or shadows do not count!
UP-TREND
How it works! You have points (A), and (B). retrace then enter.
Point (A)=open of first candle.
point (B)=the close of the candle, before the fisrt down (bear) candle. If there is 3 candles up, then a pull back (bear) candle, the close of the 3rd candle is the (B) point!
NOTE:the first candle can have both (A) and (B) points!
Entry:UP-DATE ON ENTRY PLEASE READThe first candle to close above, or below, OR BREACH point (A), or (B) is where you enter the trade. If it closes , or breaches above point (B), then you go long. If it closes below, or breaches point (A), then you go short.
NOTE:After the retracement the candle must close, or breach above, or below point (A), or (B)! do not enter until then!
EXIT:The distance between point (A), and point (B), is the minimum target you should try for!
Stop:What ever point you get in at, the other point is your stop! if you get in at point (A), then point (B) is your stop. If you get in at point (B), then point (A) is your stop. Myself, if I get in a trade other then the NFP, and I see profit at any point, I do not let it go against me. I will try for the spread, or even!
Same thing for down trend. open of first candle is point (A), price goes down, then pulls back, at that point you have point (B). Price goes up. When a candle closes on the other side of (A), or below (B), then enter the trade that way with a target of the distance between (A), and (B)!
The other news releases don't always move the market the way the NFP DOES! My target for those is 75% of the distance from point (A), to point(B). If it only moves a little and you make say 10 pips, and you exit the trade...if price goes up and closes on the other side of the other point, then enter the trade that way also, with the same target!
It is that easy! I have lost 1 trade sense I have been trading this strategy. I hope it does for you, what it has done for me! Happy trading...
WARNING:ANY STRATEGY COMES WITH RISK THE RESULTS I HAVE HAD WITH THIS STRATEGY, MAY NOT BE YOUR RESULTS KEEP TO THE RULES, AND YOU (SHOULD) HAVE GOOD RESULTS!!!

Attachments

• news.PNG
    news.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 164
Well we are in 100point channel with S/R at the 50's.... it was inevitable, what's interesting is that the higher level showed up 1st.

amazing I just sat in a long for over an hour and a half from 1.8694. it looked like it was not going anywhere today! so I close @ 05 only to come back 20mins later a little be confulsed as to where the strength came from ah well next move.

smbtnt, what a call 8750. Brilliant. I got a total of 66 pips. Did the € / $ as well.

Shame its only pretend demo dosh.

ta

coolTrader said:
amazing I just sat in a long for over an hour and a half from 1.8694. it looked like it was not going anywhere today! so I close @ 05 only to come back 20mins later a little be confulsed as to where the strength came from ah well next move.

After 6pm and upto 8pm (usually) it seems to have gathered strength for the past few days - don't know if it happens on a regular basis though. Smbtnt good call mate. :) .

elbart said:
After 6pm and upto 8pm (usually) it seems to have gathered strength for the past few days - don't know if it happens on a regular basis though. Smbtnt good call mate. :) .

Elbart, that happens about 1/3rd of the days. Am pretty clueless at what's causing it. Maybe because after the London close any big orders coming in move the market more than it would if London's out there to absorb and fade it.

just in the door, missed the spike up to R1 (8762), entry short at 50 for the bounce-off

edit: upped the entry short to 62

Last edited:
Baruch said:
Yes, I have just done that. ;)

Hey, now is the time for me to do that as well. Or as a wise man once said: "Those that come after me shouldn't start from the ground on up, but from my shoulders upwards." ;)

marmoset said:
Elbart, that happens about 1/3rd of the days. Am pretty clueless at what's causing it. Maybe because after the London close any big orders coming in move the market more than it would if London's out there to absorb and fade it.

Yep, your probably right.

The current chart looks to be forming a saucer, which will see the price reach 1.8000 at least.