Best Thread Live Cable Trading

zuke said:
Stopped out. Well I did say it was speculative!! Thankfully just a 1 mini lot.

it is strang even though it is going up it is quite choppy and at every poing people are taking profit. iI it goes as far 1.7775(or 1.7800) I think the sell will be great. Looking at the charts it is being supported upwards but lots of indecision. Maybe it's because of the news coming out at 1:30

trendie said:
thats my frustration. I think long-term, but then I let the slightest wiggle faze me into thinking my analysis was wrong.
I think longer-term cos I tend to work as well.
Since I am off for another 4 weeks, I am going to have to think shorter-term, and find something to take my mind off things. :rolleyes:

( I use 1 hr to tell me the overall trend, and use 15-mins to find rallies to sell or dips to buy into the 1-hr trend )

I had similar confusion until I read Dr Alexander Elder's - Come into my trading room, he explains using different time frames. If you are contracting here and there perhaps position trading my be a good idea? Dr Elder also says in his book that you shouldn't really consider day trading until you've mastered the longer timeframe.

I'm a newbie myself, trading less then a year and only a few months on forex - I only tend to use a 5 minute and 1 hour time frame with camarillia, pivots and S&R.

Hope this helps

CG

MT4 upgrade kills indicators?

Anyone else had this problem? Just upgraded to MT4 build 187, installation appeared fine however I can't use any of my custom indicators now... grrrrr

CG

Cableguy said:
Anyone else had this problem? Just upgraded to MT4 build 187, installation appeared fine however I can't use any of my custom indicators now... grrrrr

CG

have you recompiled them ? ( I know thats a silly question )

Overnight ranges

Anyone use breakout of overnight ranges still.
OK so far albeit you get false moves now and again....today thus far is one false breakout and a need to have a get out strategy in place (stops), trendlines etc.(And today is a figures day - so maybe should have gone for a walk on the coast) ;)
Hope you are all well. ;)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 135
MT4 Upgrade

Today's MT4 upgrade killed all my custom indicators too, and a trial recompile of one of them had no effect. I did an uninstall and reinstall but to no avail. Eventually I reinstalled again and set up a new account, then transferred the indicators from my back-up file into the MT4 experts/indicators file. So far it seem OK.

neil said:
Anyone use breakout of overnight ranges still.
OK so far albeit you get false moves now and again....today thus far is one false breakout and a need to have a get out strategy in place (stops), trendlines etc.(And today is a figures day - so maybe should have gone for a walk on the coast) ;)
Hope you are all well. ;)

Neil,

I do often trade the Asian session b/o..however, if Im trading decent size, Ill wait for the pullback and trade the b/o..less trades, but higher probablity in my experience.

hi,

yep, I had the same problem with upgrading to 187, both indicators and EA's, so I d/load a new copy of MT4, copied my indicators over, placed them back on the chart, and works ok now.

A8

zuke said:
Small SPECULATIVE trade only..SHORT 7682 stop 7705 target 7622..

EDIT..reason for trade is that the dollar seems to be gaining some ground on the swissy & euro and also 1.30 numbers are expected to be good.

I was a little too eager, but the dollar strength has now come to fore.

MT4 Upgrade

The 187 build wouldn't recognise the indicators even after recompiling, however, soon after another build (188) was released which didn't seem to have a problem with picking them up once they were recompiled.

Thanks 4 the help

CG

Hi
Anyone else had trouble with oanda today at critical points of the day.Server rejected trade error msg try later??? :devilish:

ivor31 said:
Hi
Anyone else had trouble with oanda today at critical points of the day.Server rejected trade error msg try later??? :devilish:

hi mate, no problems my side, although I was positioned pre 1.30 pm, no drop offs or anything. maybe just volumes during the tustle post 1.30 .

Ive only had one problem with them a few months back when the euro spiked 200 points :) but didnt.. they did make me good on that trade.

I need a new strategy !!
( I have an uptrend, and now a retracement to buy into !! It seemed like such a good idea a few weeks ago. :confused: )

trendie
I think that strategy is fine, I see that all over the place and all time frames. but i hold to mind that the players will clear stops out from different timeframe traders , but sometimes you can get caught in the crossfire if you use different timeframes.

if you work off weekly use the weekly frame for s/r maybe too far out for me as i assume weekly moves can stretch hundreds of points pullback yet still be in an uptrend.

I think what mark ritchie said in new market wizards makes sense ie about stops trading trends etc, roughly you have to be prepared to sacrifice open profits which are likely to be greater than your initial stop if you want to hold for the big term. that happens to me a lot of the time trading off 15 min bars.

so would imagine if you trade off hourlies dailies etc then pullbacks may seem large but maybe not in context to the original trade entry set up timeframe.

makes great sense to me and has helped immensely, even off 15 minute frames, i'm not always at the screen but check on trend direction now and then .set alert but never far away.

ie if i have a stop of 12/15 and the trade advances 20/30 very often it will pull back sometimes even to entry . choice take the quick 20/30 or hold , I had a tustle for a while because i can read short term moves also, thinking here we go pullingback, a lot of it was me, not thinking greed, take everything, just heres another trade are you going to take it , take the 30 and take another 10 backwards, but Ive learnt to let go and lean back and trade direction, so I operate ala mark ritchie principles, Im still short term intra 24 hour session but the principles hold true across the timeframes.

however if i'm out and I see exhaustion i may take short term trade ,just because its there,low risk 10/20 points, I dont look for it, it jumps out.

I also try to be aware of the bigger times to me ie hourlies up from 15 mins and aware that euro 1.1930 would be a level (value) for continued upside. (if it breaks 1.2000) we'll see but i like to see the market look shockingly awful down for a move up, and vice versa. tells me the pro's are at work.

thanks fxmarkets. I feel better for reading that.

I think its just a matter of experiencing a lot of trades, and becoming desensitized to the fluctuations.
hope my account holds out.

yes, also how much screen time you can immerse into it, ive spent months on end watching each tick on one market 12/16 hours a day etc, so you begin to feel the moves especially baring in mind the above, you feel that watching a quote, it aint going lower here, they want to attempt to push the range.make trade. also even on 15 minute bars sometimes im holding 3 or 4 bars other times 30/40, and I would assume that would apply to hourly traders daily traders and weekly.

also with fx we have the 3 timezones, all want to push and make trade hence distortion all the time, but this to me creates even more opportunities.

I wish there were 48 hours in the day and I didnt feel so knackered sometimes though... must ease off.. ish.

Other side of channel

Update - after figures - but would this be profitable for any of us ?
;)

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 162