Best Thread Live Cable Trading

trendie said:
JonnyT, jezza888,

Major respect to you both for trading full-time. Good luck.

Are you trading "forever", or have you taken sabbaticals from work ?
Have you given yourselves a certain amount of time to prove yourselves ?
Do you have fall-back options if the money runs out ?
I was made redundant so decided to give myself until XMAS.

If I'm not doing the business by then, I'm going to Beachy Head.

JonnyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyT
Its much worse than that.

I've been trading for a living (thats a joke) for 6 weeks now. I have not had one profitable week and only 4 profitable days.

JonnyT

Jonny

Since you started trading for a living, have you notice you time frame is getting smaller and smaller. the same with you profit targets, getting smaller and smaller. As to where when you was not trading for a living, you profit targets was bigger and you time frame.

Can you answer the above Jonny

JonnyT said:
If I'm not doing the business by then, I'm going to Beachy Head.JonnyT

Give us a PM on the way Jonny, I'll join you if I haven't by then either, I only live 2 mins up the road! :LOL:

trendie said:
JonnyT, jezza888,

Major respect to you both for trading full-time. Good luck.

Are you trading "forever", or have you taken sabbaticals from work ?
Have you given yourselves a certain amount of time to prove yourselves ?
Do you have fall-back options if the money runs out ?

Forever and a day Trendie,

I'm a 'professional' bartender! In the UK that sounds crap but overseas its quite a good earner with many a fine selection of ladies, but thats a different story, anyhow, I stopped working a few months back and had saved up alot of cash to tie me over and to trade with.

I'll keep going till Christmas, and if the need for more money comes along I shall find some work elsewhere in the world where its cheaper and sunnier (overseas hotel work = free accomadation and expenses paid... Dubai always popular) and save up till I can do it again!

Never say die! Hopefully it won't come to that mind! :rolleyes: :cheesy:

badtrader said:
Quote:

Since you started trading for a living, have you notice you time frame is getting smaller and smaller. the same with you profit targets, getting smaller and smaller. As to where when you was not trading for a living, you profit targets was bigger and you time frame.

Can you answer the above Jonny

For the coming week I'm going to be using 30 min and/oe 1 hour charts and set my stops accordingly with smaller trade sizes.

JonnyT

Badtrader,

Do you trade through you own methodology or system or purely taking opposites of others trades?

JonnyT,

do you trade mainly major currency pairs or do you go for a much wider range of instruments?

Trendie,

I saw on your journal you have decidied on a route of indicators as your main tool. The oscilator I believe it said? How is it gooing? Do you use the standard settings or have you tried playing around with it? Do you use it for overbought/oversold only or divergences or take every crossover?

I have a stochastic on my charts to alert me to set ups and out of all the indicators I find it the most reliable in all conditions.

do you use anything else at all?

Where next...

After Fridays shoot upwards to complete the breakout to the next trendline and with no immediate data releases on Monday, looks like it could be a pretty flat, sideways day to me.

Of course, cable being a wild thing it could head South again after all that move....

Mondays aren't generally the best days in the world but who knows!

Attachments

• where next.gif
    where next.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 174
jezza888 said:
Trendie,

I saw on your journal you have decidied on a route of indicators as your main tool. The oscilator I believe it said? How is it gooing? Do you use the standard settings or have you tried playing around with it? Do you use it for overbought/oversold only or divergences or take every crossover?

I have a stochastic on my charts to alert me to set ups and out of all the indicators I find it the most reliable in all conditions.

do you use anything else at all?

standard settings on indicators. I am still primarily MAs, just using something else to improve entries / exits. still having problems identifying true trend-reversal from a pull-back !
( this is all the more ambiguous depending on time-frame )

unfortunately, since I am working, (contract wont run out until end-November, when I can trade full-time), my journal will be ad-hoc, as will be my trading.

jezza888 said:
Badtrader,

Do you trade through you own methodology or system or purely taking opposites of others trades?
I got my own method to trade. But I do tend to look. what others are doing and fade them. It tends to work. and as you well know 85% to 90% dont make money. so the odds are on my side. I keep things simple.

JonnyT said:
I started off on 5 minute charts, tried 1 minute charts, moved on to 15 minute charts then onto tick charts. So I guess you are correct.

For the coming week I'm going to be using 30 min and/oe 1 hour charts and set my stops accordingly with smaller trade sizes.

JonnyT
This is what I thought. I just brought it to you attention. There is always pressure when one gives up work to make money for a living. Go back to how you used to trade, before you give up work and stick to a trading plan.

nothing too exciting

OCTOBER 17th –28th .

Oct. 17 12:30 GMT USA Empire State Manufacturing (Oct)

Oct. 18 12:30 GMT USA PPI (Sep)
Oct. 18 12:30 GMT USA Core PPI (Sep)
Oct. 18 13:00 GMT USA Foreign Purchase US Securities (Aug)
Oct. 18 17:00 GMT USA Homebuilder Survey (Oct)

Oct. 19 12:30 GMT USA Housing Starts (Sep)
Oct. 19 18:00 GMT USA Fed Beige Book

Oct. 20 12:30 GMT USA Initial claims (15-Oct)
Oct. 20 14:00 GMT USA Leading Indicator (Sep)
Oct. 20 16:00 GMT USA Philadelphia Fed (Oct)

Oct. 25 14:00 GMT USA Consumer Confidence (Oct)
Oct. 25 14:00 GMT USA Existing Home Sales (Sep)

Oct. 27 12:30 GMT USA Initial claims (22-Oct)
Oct. 27 12:30 GMT USA Durable Goods Orders (Sep)
Oct. 27 14:00 GMT USA New Home Sales (Sep)

Oct. 28 12:30 GMT USA Real GDP (Q3)
Oct. 28 12:30 GMT USA GDP Chain Deflator (Q3)
Oct. 28 12:30 GMT USA Employment Cost Index (Q3)
Oct. 28 13:50 GMT USA Univ. Michigan Sentiment (Oct)

Not looking action packed this week... :rolleyes:

Long @ 1.7650

TGT @ 1.7740

SL @ 1.7630

Edit: screenshot taken a little bit before actual entry (dropped down 10 - then entry)

Attachments

• up.gif
    up.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 181
Where will it stop...?

Answers on a postcard...

Attachments

• here or.gif
    here or.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 179
I think the low we saw at 1.7618 could well be the low of the day. (Max 1.7600)
Looking for a challenge of Friday's high later.