Best Thread Live Cable Trading

Or the Sterling - US dollar currency cross

depends what your after!?

Cable is the sterling/US dollar exchange rate
So called because deals were first done between NY and London by underocean telegraphic CABLE
So a bank would be asked to quote"Sterling/US Dollar for the international CABLE" which was inevitably shortened to just CABLE

Last edited:
The next Tech hurdle appears to be 200DMA 12058
A NY close above would endorse breakout which appears somewhat stalled
SORRY
This is cable thread I find it hard to divide 2
Euro/Gbp now at 6862 so up move should have direct effect on cable
The emphasis at moment is on Euro with Cable reacting according to positions on Euro/Gbp which over the last 2/3 days have been large

Last edited:
Range today about 85 pips ..... pathetic.

C'mon cable... a few weeks of 150+ per day would be luverly.

Thanks Guys nice to learn something new . Now all I need is to learn how to be profitable!

Reckon I'll keep login into this board. If that's Ok?

Cheers... Jon S.

Kaf
As much as a big spread day is desired I am following the principal that the US dollar is currently in a neutral phase
To my mind FX movements are related to the individual currencies/ In deed most interest seems at the moment focused on non US crosses
Whilst this phase lasts ranges will be tight I have scaled up exposure looking for smaller movements
However I am wiling to run positions over days/weeks but this tactic may not suit the DAY ONLY trader
Just my opinion not a recommendation

Monday, March 6th 2006

Morning all

It obviously put itself where it wanted to be on the open with no messing.

The daily is still looking bullish as is the hourly.

So my tendency will be to put some bias on the Long side today, but taking the short side when appropriate.

Does anyone else trade with bias?

Central pivot (all my own view) is at 7574/5 with ranges at 7542 and 7607 (which has already been hit, but found a little too 'heady'. I'll be watching carefully the action should it exceed the current day high of 7624.

I'm also using a technique I use on stocks when they are trending to determine exit points. I'll explain more (probably in a more appropriate forum) when I get some time. Suffice to say for now at this time (08:50 GMT) the action is in a slight downward trend and if I was short, which I'm not, I'd be looking for a 5 min close above a line drawn from the high of the 07:20 and 07:50 5 min bars.

I'll take a Long with half size if there is a definitive bounce off the central 7575 level and add to my position on the first close above this line drawn connecting those two highs.

Good trading

Expectations on the top side seemed capped by yet another large option on the Euro at 1.21
With Euro/Gbp trading 6850-60 it is difficult to see a large break higher
The option which is believed Asian owned is thought to expire this week but actual date not known

alternatively, Brambles, from a channel point of view, it has reached top of channel, and needs a really good reason not to drop back to 485 !
( merely an alternative to the bullish perspective - ultimately, it will do what it wants to do )

Attachments

• mar_06.GIF
    mar_06.GIF
    84 KB · Views: 147
One important element to note is that with BOE expected to hold at 4.5% on thursday and the futures showing a 96% chance of a Fed move to 4.75% on March 28 the US will have higher interest rates than the UK for the first time since Jan 2001

mickandpete said:
One important element to note is that with BOE expected to hold at 4.5% on thursday and the futures showing a 96% chance of a Fed move to 4.75% on March 28 the US will have higher interest rates than the UK for the first time since Jan 2001

Thank you. Nice to know.

Cable 5 minute chart

Cable 5 minute chart so far..........

Attachments

• monday27.JPG
    monday27.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 189
neil said:
Cable 5 minute chart so far..........

it appears that another poterntially profitable method is being shown here.

We can add this to Big Ben and Hans123.

I propose to call it the Nifty Neil method. :cheesy:

No Trendie - Nooooo !

trendie said:
it appears that another poterntially profitable method is being shown here.

We can add this to Big Ben and Hans123.

I propose to call it the Nifty Neil method. :cheesy:

Nay - it is not a new method. It's simply the Asian overnight range ( I also tack on the 6am to 7am range some of you talk about.)

On the chart I have traded a break upwards and lost out.....then the red candle covered the whole of the up candle and gave me a nice short with the top of the red candle acting as a stop...but I bottled out here and took the third red candle which reversed all preceeding candles and poked its' nose below the 39 ema ( the ema is just a direction guide for me - not a decision tool - eases my old eyes) - apart from break outs I am keenly interested in box formations ie. trading ranges. I still suffer from startled rabbit syndrome, if an initial trade fails, causing me to not always make a swift decision based on price action - sadly I sometimes dither before acting or even miss a whole trade thus wasting a day. :eek:

On other days I am stunned by my lightening reflexes :D

So, cannot give up the day job yet ( or I don't have the bottle yet) :)

re: 14:00 bar ( 13:00 to 14:00 )

7525 = current Low of the day.
will it reverse and go up ?