Linux and Daytrading

Thanks for that. I will have another look when I get some time. Destroying my hard drive isn't something I want to rush :)

Ubuntu installed with no problems. Just need to get my frog (modem) working and I am away. Will have a look at that tomorrow.

Been running 100% Linux for years although I have vmware with a windows 2000 virtual machine. I run SuSe for my desktop machine and Gentoo for a couple of server things (like a db with historical data and some work stuff).

I use a few small linux tools for storing and maintaining historical data, I use IB TWS for execution and running a custom java charting app. I run the spreadsheet app that comes with OpenOffice for my trading log.

In vmware Windows 2k I run Sierra charts, Amibroker and TSim.

There are quite a lot of utilities for Linux that can be used in your trading. www.freshmeat.net is good. The only instability I ever get is in vmware and my trading doesn't rely on that.

I'd never run any business that relies on Windows!

Good luck.

linux programs?

Three years later, is there anyone using Linux for trading?
I've been using mint for a year, used ubuntu a couple years ago, and today switched to sabayon.

Ameritrade's online program is 1 minute slower than their java program command center, which seems quite unstable and finicky. Everything else I've found requires microsoft. I had xp on an emachine for 5 years then the motherboard crashed and the proprietary xp doesn't work without it. Another xp locked me out due to an autologoff virus, good ol' microsoft. I have knoppix and the ultimate boot cd but haven't checked them yet and don't know if they'd fix the issue. Also I have pclinux(bsd) but it's never been able to load.

Also I'm planning to move my scottrade account somewhere else, maybe either thinkorswim, tradestation, or mbtrading.

Other than getting another version of xp, which I might have to do, any suggestions?

TinyXP v09 to replace the one you have a licence for (seems sort of legit; i use it but have a licenced xp for all my machines, just prefer tiny's speed and ease of install). Lots of XP versions on torrents but tinyxp has received positive mainstream media coverage (xp, how microsoft should have made it).

Get a copy of Macrium Reflect which is a free for private use disk image save and restore tool. Once you setup save a copy of your image somewhere so that you can recover from virus problems or too many changes slowing xp down with a clean overwrite.

TinyXP v09 to replace the one you have a licence for (seems sort of legit; i use it but have a licenced xp for all my machines, just prefer tiny's speed and ease of install). Lots of XP versions on torrents but tinyxp has received positive mainstream media coverage (xp, how microsoft should have made it).

Get a copy of Macrium Reflect which is a free for private use disk image save and restore tool. Once you setup save a copy of your image somewhere so that you can recover from virus problems or too many changes slowing xp down with a clean overwrite.

Nine,
Thank you very much. I appreciate your message and will look into your recommendations.
Since posting, I've been looking into brokers to replace scottrade, and have decided to go with thinkorswim tomorrow.
They are top rated and said to have excellent webbased trading. Plus their fees are better than ST and AT. :)

thinkorswim's desktop application runs fine on linux as it is java based. the api needs work but its a great platform.

thinkorswim's desktop application runs fine on linux as it is java based. the api needs work but its a great platform.

That's great to know, thanks!
The TOS webbased program is slow and frustrating, not suitable at all for trading.

Also I'm looking into getting tinyxp v09 or tinyvista as a backup.

If you want a more institutional level package for your trading in Java, check out marketcetera.com . Still early days for them, but it is the best around in terms of value, since it is open source.

Which data feed do most of you Linux users use? I am searching for a simple NYMEX feed for Linux. I've read about IB and a few others, but just wondering if I'm missing any.

I was hoping to use OpenTick but they are not accepting any new accounts.

Any information would be great.