Limt Orders not executing

(((Tank)))

All of the material that I've read online regarding S&P E-mini futures trading has indicated that the liquidity in it makes it so that orders are executed practically immediately - many times under a second - in simulated trades I've found that this is just as said - However, a very different story in live trading

example: current price is $1,861.25 - I set a limit order (only 1 contract) at $1,861.00 - price reaches $1,861.00 sits there for a duration - moves back up to $1,861.25 and down maybe two or three times and yet it never executes

Can anyone please tell me what I'm missing? This doesn't line up with what I've read. Thanks.

Last edited:
The market is a venue for matching buyers and sellers.

A limit order to buy is an order that needs to wait for a market sell order to hit it and complete the transaction.

Limit orders are in a queue. First in, first out.. If there are 2000 bid at a level and you become buyer 2001, then you need 2001 market sell orders to hit that price before you get a fill.

The only 'instant' orders are market orders.

The reason your limit orders get filled instantly is because the simulator you are using is not indicative of real life trading.

Now - before the pedants come along - let's let this concept sink in before we talk about actionable orders vs market orders and queue jumping for certain types of spreads.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Dionysus

I definitely understand the concept of waiting in line - and was even afraid that this would be a response - even being used to this in dealing with regular stocks

I think that I just expected better due the general consensus online where I find a lot of talk about the liquidity/volatility of the S&P E-mini specifically and it's no problem quick fills - that is what specifically drew me to it in the first place -

could it be that it greatly improves at certain times of the day - I thought that its 2-4 pm EST action suits my style - I'm just trying to make sense of what's said about it online