LIBRARY of assorted trading Concepts

NO 8

Nine ways to improve your trading

Attachments

• 9_ways_to_improve.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 110
lads - sorry if i sound a bit daft here - what is 1 ATR?

personally i DO think that stoploss management is the most important thing in trading. That is why I am keenly interested in how u approach it. In my trading style - on all "normal" trades I use a 0.3% = 3.25 SP pts trailing stop. On all scalps (that is where u go against yr guts prompted to do so by a tick divergence) I am 0.15% fixed stoploss with the same target - which gives u an expected payout of 12-16 teenies (from my experience, and only if tick divergence is not quickly negated - in which case u reverse back to the trend).

China,

ATR is Average true range and is technical means of measuring the possible stoploss based on historical performance..

Traders often use ATR to set their stop others might use statistical measures such as SD to set stops..

so it must reflect the current volatility of the market - and therefore makes loads of sense.

I'll tell u where my 0.3% stoploss comes from. at 15% front end volatility of SPX u get 15/sqrt(252) = 0.95% DAILY volatility = 10 SP pts. A reasonable stop loss on yr trade is 1/3 - 1/2 of the daily volatility - which makes sure u dont get TOO shafted if u misinterpreted the trend, but keeps u in the trade if it is just jibbering about. I personally go with 1/3 as I prefer to be stopped out and then re-enter if the circumstances r right.

brilliant forum u've got here. many thx again for the invite.

China-

There are a few good articles about the uses of ATR in the web link I posted above.

An interesting interview here. Although the chap featured is a futures trader, his wisdom applies equally to all markets.

His ethos is similar to my own. I especially agree with his idea of looking at the character of current price action to determine his strategy, rather than a one size fits all market conditions approach.

Attachments

• matte.pdf
    407.3 KB · Views: 80