Job Offer

Drew28

Hi

My first post so be gentle.

I'm currently looking to get into either broking or trading. I was offered a job at henyep about a year ago but turned it down as something didn't feel quite right about them, and i took an admin type job at the Royal Bank of Scotland. I'm extremely bored with the job i do now, so have started to look around again.

which leads me to the job offer. I went for an interview with a Private Client Stockbroker, and have been offered a job there.

The thing thats got me is that for the first 18 months its mainly cold calling people, and that doesn't really appeal to me, but what i'd like to know is if this is what i'm gonna have to do to get into this kind of field, or will there be better opportunities around?

What you have to understand is that i'm not a graduate, i'm a 22 year old with 5 years work experience at PricewaterhouseCoopers and RBS, and GCSE's from school.

Also would i be better off getting my securities exams done on my own then looking for a job?

thanks for taking the time to rad this, and thanks in advance for any replies!

Andy

hello mate...

One thing I would get straight before you head out into the job market is whether you want to do broking or trading. They are two very different types of job and I would make sure you know the difference in your own mind before you consider anything.

Secondly, if I were you I would definately take my securities exams before I started to apply for any trading/broking roles. I dont mean to sound harsh but without a degree no banks/brokers would really look at you (generally this is true these days but most brokers dont have degrees, its only in the last few years they have started to recruit grads as trainee brokers)...but with 5 yrs work experience and your SI exams it shows that you are determined to get into front office and you have taken the initiative and studied for the exams yourself.

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Thanks for replying!

As you know, i'm new to this, so would someone mind explaining the differences between the two?

Also with the SI exams, you have to take unit 1 obviously, but what are the best other units to take?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm just trying to get as much information as possible!

Andy

Hi,

I made a similar thread regards the Securities Exam, have a search. Also, what position did you apply for at Henyep? I got to the second stage of interviews for the dealers assistant, but didn't get the job which lead me to go to univeristy. I understand they were looking for trainee dealers as well. One thing I found strange was every few months I would see an ad for the positions specified over a period of 12 months. This cannot be a good thing!

The SI exams are usually meant for those already with jobs in various securities functions - ie. broker , derivative sales etc. Indeed the full qualification only comes with an employer endorsement.

They are not really taken seriously as anything else in the UK , you can't really pad this up on your CV and expect it to replace a degree or upgrade you to a better degree. the HR depts of most Financial insititutions are well savvy to this .

Although in another location , taking the SI exams on it's own may not be a bad idea