Jack Hershey trading method

spike

For anyone that might be interested, I am currently in a daily commentary with Jack Hershey on misc.invest.technical. Jack is a very successful private US trader (since 1957) who is keen to pass on his trading style to anyone interested, for free. You can find further details about his trading style at
http://communities.msn.com/ShortTermStockTrading/general.msnw

Jack swing trades US stocks and day trades futures.

spike

I've also been following these ... and they are very hard going because Hershey writes in such a 'technical' way. However, the stuff he talks about is quite brilliant, and based on his long and (exceedingly) prosperous trading career, so it is well worth following the conversations.

I've also been following these ... and they are very hard going because Hershey writes in such a 'technical' way. However, the stuff he talks about is quite brilliant, and based on his long and (exceedingly) prosperous trading career, so it is well worth following the conversations.
The only time Jack has ever gone on record he lost 26% in a trading contest before making excuses and leaving early, he currently lives off his life partner who has a very well paid job.. he has never called a live trade or posted P/L.. nor have any of his followers

The only time Jack has ever gone on record he lost 26% in a trading contest before making excuses and leaving early, he currently lives off his life partner who has a very well paid job.. he has never called a live trade or posted P/L.. nor have any of his followers

I did read a few abreviated post he made describing one of his methods - mostly channel based, where the trader is always 'in the market' - a bit like a religious ma based trader.

imo, when you think of how the markets work, you kind of understand it would be hard to make it work as the market isnt as neat as his method would like (like an ma 'always in' method on any market). of course, his excuse when others cant make money with his method is that they are not of the correct intellectual level! timing is everything right! he then goes off in to some over deep stuff no one comprehends to confuse and cover his tracks.

every board has one i guess (mentioning no names)!

Many mentors/trading legends get their reputations out of nothing, a bit like the hardest kid at school. He never had to have a fight because everybody beleived he is the best.Thats why I beleive most people who are successful keep it to themselves so others exploit the new and innocent. Im sure Jack will be asking for a fee somewhere down the line.They should all have msn/skype trading rooms and prove all of their trades and profit

Jack Hershey is an idiot who apparently has produced some "always in the market theories". He jumped into a thread anbout why Predict and gave a page of nonsense about not very much at all... but managing to appear philosophical...

He didnt fool me one bit .. and I made mincemeat of his replies and rediculously esoteric musings... pathetic man

A lot of the stuff that you will find in that Hershey Futures trading thread on ET is surprisingly simple and useful if you can get through the jargon. The fundamental priniciple of drawing channels and looking for turning points at or near a "Volatility Expansion", which is where price breaks out of the top of an up-channel (or vice versa) is sound, and I could demonstrate a nice tasty intraday edge on Nasdaq stocks using this alone.

Obviously there is a somewhat unpleastant whiff of Eau De Guru about Mr. Hershey himself, and his own posts are virtually unreadable (to me, at least) - in this regard he is very similar to our own Socrates. Where he differs totally is that there appears to be a fairly diverse group of rational people who are making money using his methods.

Thread cleansed of pies!

Keep it on track and friendly guys, no gouging or below the belt stuff or I'll delete the lot again :(

Round 2 ...ding ding :LOL:

random007.jpg

Ouch. . . allot of people hating on Jack. I have been reading up on the fellow and his trading method. the more i read the more i fell like in falling down a rabbit hole. I keep finding more and more stuff to read and take in. So far IMO i see allot of great stuff.

were are my cigz. ahhhhh

Jack's total track record consists of a 24% loss in a trading contest and a $24,000 loss in stocks, for someone that boasts 50 years of trading success he doesn't even own his own house, you do the math.

I new to all this, and yes you stated that already. What methods or trading tips would you suggest i look into.

TIA

Price action is the only action
It would seem that price action without a context for interpretation has little meaning. In other words, we might need to know "when prices are doing X, then they will probably do Y". To paraphrase NIC.fit's question, what methods or trading tips would you suggest for interpreting price action?

exactly. you would need to know where it is relative to were it has been, to see where it can go. In other words using the short and long term past to anticipate were it can go in the future.