FAQ Is Trading the Same as Gambling?

• New to T2W? Welcome! This forum contains a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) that new members want answers to. We don't allow new threads to be created so if you have an idea for a new FAQ please post it in the How the FAQs work thread.

TRADEMYSTYLE

17 1
Trading is gambling only for those who think of the forex market as a get-rich-quick scheme. If you genuinely want to earn consistent profits, you must understand the fact that you can’t be rich overnight in this market. You have to work hard for that.

Upgradzz

25 1
Trading is not at all similar to gambling, trading involves fundamental and technical analysis of the market to place trades while gambling is nothing more than luck.

BigDeal

81 32
Trading is not at all similar to gambling, trading involves fundamental and technical analysis of the market to place trades while gambling is nothing more than luck.

So where do you believe poker playing sits? What about those who study and bet on horse racing?

DominicqsJ

1 1
This is really a very cool thread, I read every page, as I was interested in it and I got very carried away. This raises a really important and serious question that you need to think about I love gambling, I often play online poker on the site with my brothers and I didn't even think about it. Before reading this thread I treated the concept of "reckless" as just something risky in terms of money or material things, but if you think about it more, then you can find a bunch of other associations... I wonder what he would tell my brothers after I show them this thread with all of the discussions. I'm sure they'll like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windlesham1

Windlesham1

454 35
Think about a horse race- can you change your bet half way through the race? It's all or nothing. We trade typically <5% of our account at any one time. By the way the market hates that there are retail options traders making money- just try finding free options prices- you will find thousands of digital/forex/stock prices. What does that tell you?

Last edited:

hatemypips

Established member
634 45
You can make gambling of trading if you take high leverage not because probabilities change (low leverage just smoothes loss in time) but because it's much harder to manage large swings of equity. You have to have iron balls to not let this turn into emotional swings.

Kaeso

Established member
940 114
Is Trading the Same as Gambling?
In the roulette type of gambling over large number of bets - no, because in trading you are adjusting the odds in your favour (or trying to). But it can present itself as the same type of activity over a small number of trades

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock