Is there a SB firm/platform that has Volume indicator

silverpuma

Hi all,

I am with ig Index and fairly happy. They have a good charting package that's a cut down version of Pro-realtime charts. But one of the "left out parts" is the indicator I'd like to have...volume?

Do you know any UK SB firms/platforms that has a charting package that includes volume?

Many thanks,

George

None that I know of. You might want to consider paying for another live data feed from somewhere else. Or roughly judge it on the size of candle sticks if it's not that important.

None that I know of. You might want to consider paying for another live data feed from somewhere else. Or roughly judge it on the size of candle sticks if it's not that important.

Thanks Neoriply, I had thought about that to and it looks as if that's my only option. Another discussion I know but I wonder what is a reasonably priced charting package that has volume. I don't need all the bells and whistles as I don't use indicators in general just price action and S&R and volume:) Thanks(y)

Thanks Neoriply, I had thought about that to and it looks as if that's my only option. Another discussion I know but I wonder what is a reasonably priced charting package that has volume. I don't need all the bells and whistles as I don't use indicators in general just price action and S&R and volume:) Thanks(y)

I've looked into this myself and kind of gave up on it after a while. Main reason is that it always seems you need to have an account with an online broker to receive the feeds. Online brokers do provide volume (from providers who get it from the exchanges) but you may have to open an account with them in order to receive the data (which is normally free as with the SB firms). I'm sure you could get a data feed independently but I'm not sure how that works or how you would receive it. I've forgotten the major providers but you can Google it or do a search on the forums and see what others are using or recommend. I'm thinking Metatrader, Equis, Tradestation ...but I'm not sure. I could be getting it confused with something else - I think those are trading platforms. Like I said, I've just got used to getting along without it. You could try posting on the first forum 'General Trading Chat' (a lot more people - and trolls - hanging about there) so you might get someones attention and the help you need! :) Just try to give the thread a 'general' theme regarding data feed as opposed to SB.

p.s. if you do find out maybe you could PM me and let me know! Appreciate it (y)

Last edited:
I've looked into this myself and kind of gave up on it after a while. Main reason is that it always seems you need to have an account with a either a SB or online broker to receive the feeds. Online brokers do provide volume (from providers who get it from the exchanges) but you may have to open an account with them in order to receive the data (which is normally free as with the SB firms). You may be able to get a data feed independently but I'm not sure how that works or how you would receive it. I've forgotten the major providers but you can Google it or do a search on the forums and see what others are using or recommend. I'm thinking Metatrader, Equis, Tradestation ...but I'm not sure. I could be getting it confused with something else - I think those are trading platforms. I'd suggest you try posting on the first forum 'General Trading Chat' (a lot more people - and trolls - hanging about there) so you might get someones attention and the help you need! :) Just try to give the thread a 'general' theme regarding data feed as opposed to SB.

Take a look at AmiBroker - Technical Analysis Software. Charting, Backtesting, Scanning of stocks, futures, mutual funds, forex (currencies). Alerts. Free quotes.

This is a relatively cheap standalone one-off payment of $200 to $300 for the charting software which is quite comprehensive. You can download their programming manual as well to get a feel for it. The link lists the data feeds that will work with the software and if you click on the icons for each data feed provider it will link to their sites, where you can see the monthly prices. Some of these providers also have their own charting software e.g. esignal, so you could go with those and not use Amibroker. The cheapest option is probably to go with a broker and use their charting software and their own data provider. Tradestation does this for example and if you trade in sufficient volume over the month then the software comes free, but you will have to pay a nominal amount for the exchange data (approx $10 per month, but it depends on the exchange and which data feeds you need).

If you only need end of day data then there are much cheaper alternatives.

Remember though that good data, suitable charting software, a good broker platform and good broker services are all vital tools of the trade and you get what you pay for.

Charlton

Thanks again and my search continues:cool:

I've looked into this myself and kind of gave up on it after a while. Main reason is that it always seems you need to have an account with an online broker to receive the feeds. Online brokers do provide volume (from providers who get it from the exchanges) but you may have to open an account with them in order to receive the data (which is normally free as with the SB firms). I'm sure you could get a data feed independently but I'm not sure how that works or how you would receive it. I've forgotten the major providers but you can Google it or do a search on the forums and see what others are using or recommend. I'm thinking Metatrader, Equis, Tradestation ...but I'm not sure. I could be getting it confused with something else - I think those are trading platforms. Like I said, I've just got used to getting along without it. You could try posting on the first forum 'General Trading Chat' (a lot more people - and trolls - hanging about there) so you might get someones attention and the help you need! :) Just try to give the thread a 'general' theme regarding data feed as opposed to SB.

p.s. if you do find out maybe you could PM me and let me know! Appreciate it (y)

Thanks Charlton, this is very helpful. I'll look at both Tradestation and Amibroker. Just one clarification, will tradestation allow me to use their software in a Spread Betting context?

Take a look at AmiBroker - Technical Analysis Software. Charting, Backtesting, Scanning of stocks, futures, mutual funds, forex (currencies). Alerts. Free quotes.

This is a relatively cheap standalone one-off payment of $200 to $300 for the charting software which is quite comprehensive. You can download their programming manual as well to get a feel for it. The link lists the data feeds that will work with the software and if you click on the icons for each data feed provider it will link to their sites, where you can see the monthly prices. Some of these providers also have their own charting software e.g. esignal, so you could go with those and not use Amibroker. The cheapest option is probably to go with a broker and use their charting software and their own data provider. Tradestation does this for example and if you trade in sufficient volume over the month then the software comes free, but you will have to pay a nominal amount for the exchange data (approx $10 per month, but it depends on the exchange and which data feeds you need).

If you only need end of day data then there are much cheaper alternatives.

Remember though that good data, suitable charting software, a good broker platform and good broker services are all vital tools of the trade and you get what you pay for.

Charlton

Just one clarification, will tradestation allow me to use their software in a Spread Betting context?

Charlton may have a better answer but as I'm here now I'll give it a go too. It's not really a case of them 'allowing' you, once you've paid, but rather that the SB platform is simply not setup to accept their feed (and it's probaby the SB that won't allow it or simply can't accept the feed and there'd be other major issues because the SB make their own prices based on the underlying markets and it wouldn't make sense for them to provide you with an independent live market feed). So, a bit like buying something from an online shop and then asking them to pick up a couple of items from the dry cleaners en route to your house with the delivery! It's a technical and licensing issue, or so I assume. What you'll probably have to end up doing is running both the SB platform and the stock trading platform using the stock platforms charts and data feeds. May need a kick-ass computer or an additional one + monitor. But as you won't be trading on the broker's platform you may run into problems and extra expenses. It would be much easier just to be able to download a simple licensed charting program that could accept a live data feed with price and volume from one of these providers for a fee (not from each exchange individually - prohibitively expensive) but I've never found one. Perhaps Charlton can answer it better?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am with ig Index and fairly happy. They have a good charting package that's a cut down version of Pro-realtime charts. But one of the "left out parts" is the indicator I'd like to have...volume?

Do you know any UK SB firms/platforms that has a charting package that includes volume?

Many thanks,

George

IGmarkets ( cfd ) offer volume on their pro realtime charts for stocks but u will pay for the data 6 pounds monthly for UK shares 2 $ for US stocks

Thanks Charlton, this is very helpful. I'll look at both Tradestation and Amibroker. Just one clarification, will tradestation allow me to use their software in a Spread Betting context?
My reply is really aimed at the suggestion by Neoripley to use an online broker, known as a "direct access broker", because you place orders via them directly with the market.

Spread betting companies set their own prices - they themselves provide the market to their customers, so the price data that you get via direct access brokers or via data suppliers is not the same as the price quoted by an SB.

In the context given Tradestation, Amibroker and any direct data feed suppliers can be used totally independently of your SB. As such they will provide volume data, which you might use to make trading decisions, which you would then manually use to create orders via your SB.

I suspect that the reason why SBs do not provide volume data is because you are not looking at the actual market. Volume in the actual market bears some relation to the activities of the participants there, which does not necessarily relate to the activities of the participants in a particular SB.

Charlton

Ah Charlton, you have crystallized my thoughts exactly or better to say, you have taken my unclear thoughts and given them direction..........thanks !!

I am happy to stay with IG Index for placing my trades I just need an independent charting package with live data i.e. volume that I can use to determine when I will enter/exit the market via my SB company. I now need to track down this service with a reasonable price coupled with reasonable functionality, no bells and whistles and my beloved ....volume....:cheesy:. Thanks again for the help, its appreciated:)

My reply is really aimed at the suggestion by Neoripley to use an online broker, known as a "direct access broker", because you place orders via them directly with the market.

Spread betting companies set their own prices - they themselves provide the market to their customers, so the price data that you get via direct access brokers or via data suppliers is not the same as the price quoted by an SB.

In the context given Tradestation, Amibroker and any direct data feed suppliers can be used totally independently of your SB. As such they will provide volume data, which you might use to make trading decisions, which you would then manually use to create orders via your SB.

I suspect that the reason why SBs do not provide volume data is because you are not looking at the actual market. Volume in the actual market bears some relation to the activities of the participants there, which does not necessarily relate to the activities of the participants in a particular SB.

Charlton

Hi folks,

I am very new to spread betting and was also searching for the volume indicator. I dont know about live data feeds but instead of any trader, you can get it on Yahoo finance for free.

I dont know how it will work for you but hope for the best.

:clover::clover::clover: