is it my inexpereience or is crude going to go through the roof?

a futures price does not mean the underlying will settle there on expiry. so if you bought Dec crude now at 62.85 it does not mean that a barrel of WTI delivered to cushing will be trading at 62.85 when it settles.

There's so much more subtlety in these markets than people get.

Could start it as a thread here I suppose (although that might mke it less likely we can sell this stuff for hard folding later).

My thought is we could have an actual simulated dealing room, with live argument / banter situations. A bit like when you had to do your pit exams in the old Liffe days and the old faces would come down ostensibly to 'help simulate' but basically to give you a total caning.

So am I wrong in thinking that current prices can be influenced by massive trading in the futures?

I understand the contradiction but I was under the assumption that the market value is nothing more than what people are willing to pay at any given moment.

Sometimes what you think is the dog is actually the tail. Sometimes what you think is the tail is actually, as it were, the dog.

Sometimes the dog has no tail, but two heads. Then it's called a pushmepullyou.

Sometimes there's no dog, just two tails. That's a ferret.

here's a score-go run to the bookies and put it on number 6 in the 4.20 at kempton park.

i'm looking at the futures but still unsure what i am looking for. can you help me?

this could be something they ask in an interview....

Sometimes what you think is the dog is actually the tail. Sometimes what you think is the tail is actually, as it were, the dog.

Sometimes the dog has no tail, but two heads. Then it's called a pushmepullyou.

Sometimes there's no dog, just two tails. That's a ferret.

Dunno how much you paid for those drugs but you got your money's worth

So am I wrong in thinking that current prices can be influenced by massive trading in the futures?

I understand the contradiction but I was under the assumption that the market value is nothing more than what people are willing to pay at any given moment.

Futures prices / trading

For many months crude has been in contango, futures prices were way higher than front month. (The opposite of that is backwardation btw)
Because crude is a physical thing that gets delivered every month it is hard to take advantage of that because you are rolled over each month. People who bought ETF's based on crude like USO have lost a lot of money and it has underperformed crude because of the rollover.
A lot of savvy big oil speculators have taken advantage of the contango by renting idle tankers and storing crude for delivery in future months but that oil will be released as the contango unwinds and the gap between the front and future months narrow.

Could start it as a thread here I suppose (although that might mke it less likely we can sell this stuff for hard folding later).

My thought is we could have an actual simulated dealing room, with live argument / banter situations. A bit like when you had to do your pit exams in the old Liffe days and the old faces would come down ostensibly to 'help simulate' but basically to give you a total caning.

I tried to set up a Banter thread but it ran out of steam very quickly, just sorta spiralled into "you're a d!ckhead", vanilla insults
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/foyer/42702-good-banter.html

Would welcome another...

Actually, I now have an image in my head of a night school class for dealing room banter. That's it - that's my big idea. For all these noobs that want to get dealing floor jobs, we could have like a sort of 'finishing school' for dealers. Correct use of the term 'you f**king muppet', and 'screens don't deal sunshine'. That sort of thing.

You in Goose?

I'm in for the finishing school.

I thought another issue with commodities (crude especially) is that the question isn't "How much is someone willing to pay for it" but "How much is it worth me having a barrel of oil", commodity money I think it is known as?

Could be total bullsh!t on the other hand.

Wait there...

I've had an epiphany. My post was indeed extremely stupid.

Sorry for wasting your time folks.

Luckily for me I have zero pride or shame.

I think I was erm... "thinking the tail was the dog". Kind of. Futures are used ONLY as a tool used to protect against fluxuation in the underlying the underlying? There is no way you could influence the market with them becuase when they expire you've had it. Right? Cut and run?

If I'm wrong I'll tell you all in advance to f--k off for whatever insults you thow my way.

Last edited: