Is apple larger than the entire Italian Stock market?

Someone was comparing the europe situation to that of asia in 1997 when the bangkok stock market was worth less than some small American company and now the situation is the same for Spain, Ireland and even Italy. Not sure you can read it unless you have a subscription

Why Europe will bounce back in 2013 - FT.com

The US of A has a bloody strong economy

You're kidding..that is not a strong economy. The Italian market is incredibly weak with outright crooked politicians, run by even more crooked individuals with more hands up their backsides..they just make the US of A look good :D

What I mean is, I spend a lot of time looking at FTSE stocks and a relatively large stock will have a market capitalisation of £10 billion. Once in a while I find one that is over £100 billion like BHP Billiton and I'm impressed. Then I take a look at the US stock market and it seems to effortlessy give me stocks of $100 billion and then stuff like Google, Apple and Microsoft which are crazy high.

What I mean is, I spend a lot of time looking at FTSE stocks and a relatively large stock will have a market capitalisation of £10 billion. Once in a while I find one that is over £100 billion like BHP Billiton and I'm impressed. Then I take a look at the US stock market and it seems to effortlessy give me stocks of $100 billion and then stuff like Google, Apple and Microsoft which are crazy high.

That doesn't mean the economy is good. There is a lot of foreign money invested here that keeps good corporate stocks at a high market cap. In relative terms there is very little foreign money invested in the countries in the article.

Peter