IR35

counter_violent

Legendary member
Anyone want to talk IR35 ?

We are a matter of weeks away from changes to the way contractors are engaged regarding their tax/employment status.

Last edited:
Anyone want to talk IR35 ?

We are a matter of weeks away from changes to the way contractors are engaged regarding their tax/employment status.

Not all are changing - hopefully!

As with most contractual arrangements, it's all a bit last minute, of course HMRC are in the game of not really helping either, but since when did they ever help anyone other than themselves?

Negotiation with clients is key and be prepared to walk away and move onto a client that understands IR35, but then if HMRC can't understand and interperate their own rules and must rely on tribunal judges to do that for them, what hope have clients got!

I don't think there is any chance now that the legislation will be postponed, although you never know with the Coronovirus outbreak.

Not all are changing - hopefully!

As with most contractual arrangements, it's all a bit last minute, of course HMRC are in the game of not really helping either, but since when did they ever help anyone other than themselves?

Negotiation with clients is key and be prepared to walk away and move onto a client that understands IR35, but then if HMRC can't understand and interperate their own rules and must rely on tribunal judges to do that for them, what hope have clients got!

I don't think there is any chance now that the legislation will be postponed, although you never know with the Coronovirus outbreak.

Postponed for a year, hurrah, now if it wasn't for that pesky Coronavirus.

Virus aside, the damage was already done for many.

Tens of Thousands have already been terminated or forced into a less optimal situation.

Many companies acted in anticipation of the IR35 changes, so to all intents and purposes, it's implemented.
I am finding the smaller organisations, that don't have the massive HR resources, are more flexible and amenable to working with one-man companies as PSCs.

Hope you haven't been massively affected.

Many companies acted in anticipation of the IR35 changes, so to all intents and purposes, it's implemented.
I am finding the smaller organisations, that don't have the massive HR resources, are more flexible and amenable to working with one-man companies as PSCs.

Hope you haven't been massively affected.

No my assessment came back as outside IR35

Luckily, there has been a technical hold-up with my assessment, it was going to be last minute contract signing anyway (not unusual) and I still don't know if it's in or out, my own assessment is out but clients is in. So it's keep calm and carry on for me, no change.

I do feel for those that have made alternative arrangements, agree that the damage has been done to many already, what a fcuk up by HMG/HMRC.

Before I heard the news, I was wondering where PSC's were going to get govt help with Covid, just at the point industry needs a flexible workforce more than ever they have already screwed many over, good luck mobilising those that are now out of the game.

Agency has just closed. No Notice, no information about existing and future contracts, no information about payment schedules (I have 7 weeks of unpaid work at risk).

At what point did HMRC decide that independent freelancers weren't taking enough risk.

I expect that Covid has been the final straw after the IR35 effect, what an utter shambles UKGov is leaving IR35 to the last minute with it's inherent risks and they have been telling us that we work like employees, f*ckers the lot of them.

Agency has just closed. No Notice, no information about existing and future contracts, no information about payment schedules (I have 7 weeks of unpaid work at risk).

At what point did HMRC decide that independent freelancers weren't taking enough risk.

I expect that Covid has been the final straw after the IR35 effect, what an utter shambles UKGov is leaving IR35 to the last minute with it's inherent risks and they have been telling us that we work like employees, f*ckers the lot of them.

Do you mean 7 weeks of work completed , just awaiting payment?
Have you had your IR35 status confirmed yet?

Do you mean 7 weeks of work completed , just awaiting payment?
Have you had your IR35 status confirmed yet?

They have gone into liquidation, I expect Covid has been the the final straw after what must be many contractors leaving the game or going permie.

A ray of hope that I can continue with the client under a direct contract with same terms and conditions.

Outside IR35, determination wasn't complete and then it's been delayed by 12 months.

Yes 7 weeks of work completed, awaiting payment, not sure how much I will get from them at the end of this month or how much I will need to pursue through liquidators.

They have gone into liquidation, I expect Covid has been the the final straw after what must be many contractors leaving the game or going permie.

A ray of hope that I can continue with the client under a direct contract with same terms and conditions.

Outside IR35, determination wasn't complete and then it's been delayed by 12 months.

Yes 7 weeks of work completed, awaiting payment, not sure how much I will get from them at the end of this month or how much I will need to pursue through liquidators.

Sh1t !

I'm just wondering if there is a workaround where the client, as an act of good faith and continuing work relations, would be prepared to pay you directly, as opposed to via the agency for work already completed. (might need to ask a solicitor)

I don't hold out any hope that you will get anything via the liquidators, as they are only appointed when these companies have no money.

Sh1t !

I'm just wondering if there is a workaround where the client, as an act of good faith and continuing work relations, would be prepared to pay you directly, as opposed to via the agency for work already completed. (might need to ask a solicitor)

I don't hold out any hope that you will get anything via the liquidators, as they are only appointed when these companies have no money.

That's my thinking at the moment, I am just a creditor at the end of a long list. Have to wait and see what transpires with the client and what arrangement will be with the existing contract, it only had a few days to run with payment before the end of this month, FFS.

Thanks for the advice CV much appreciated.

Sh1t !

I'm just wondering if there is a workaround where the client, as an act of good fath and continuing work relations, would be prepared to pay you directly, as opposed to via the agency for work already completed. (might need to ask a solicitor)

From a bust agency to a direct contract in the space of 3 hours, client very understanding and has offered a couple of months on the agency rate, so some small compensation which they didn't need to do.

Have to accept the fact that I will see no money for almost 2 months effort 👿😠

Just a relatively small casualty of Covid-19, so far.

My IR35 outside status has just gained 10 points, HMRC can f*ck right off.

From a bust agency to a direct contract in the space of 3 hours, client very understanding and has offered a couple of months on the agency rate, so some small compensation which they didn't need to do.

Have to accept the fact that I will see no money for almost 2 months effort 👿😠

Just a relatively small casualty of Covid-19, so far.

My IR35 outside status has just gained 10 points, HMRC can f*ck right off.

Good so far.

Try a step further. Try and ascertain if the client has paid the agency all of your 7 weeks owed. If not, they may be prepared to pay directly to you and for them to argue with the liquidators that the work you did was not up to standard (he he)and that they will be deducting this sum from any monies owed to the agency. (contractual sh1t)

It's worth a try !

Good so far.

Try a step further. Try and ascertain if the client has paid the agency all of your 7 weeks owed. If not, they may be prepared to pay directly to you and for them to argue with the liquidators that the work you did was not up to standard (he he)and that they will be deducting this sum from any monies owed to the agency. (contractual sh1t)

It's worth a try !

Yes the client have been invoiced for all weeks except last week and have stated that they are legally obliged to pay the agency/liquidators, I could try the substandard work angle, but then liquidators could chase me for money some way down the line.

Just need to get on the creditor list once I find out who the liquidators are.

This is why Sunak is lying, help for everyone execept contractors, and guess who pays the most tax, is the most flexible, has the skills......when everyone else is swanning around on 80% pay for sitting on their arses, this workforce is either out there doing the work or sat on their arses with no income whatsoever!

This is why Sunak is lying, help for everyone execept contractors, and guess who pays the most tax, is the most flexible, has the skills......when everyone else is swanning around on 80% pay for sitting on their arses, this workforce is either out there doing the work or sat on their arses with no income whatsoever!

Debating with myself whether or not to send this to my dept manager as a reason not to go Ltd Co route.
Up to now i'm still classed as sole trader partnership and by the looks of things I would be better off maintaining this status. The problem is, the corporation I do the majority of my work for has decreed that they will only deal with Ltd Co's from here on in, despite the postponement of the IR35 .
IR35 , in my view has little to no chance of being implemented in the short to mid term given that the Govt will need people like us to drive the work forward (post Covid19 era)

Decisions, decisions!