Investment banks v Commodity trading houses

dcgun32

I currently work for a leading Investment Bank with a huge presence in Commodities. My interest lies in Commodities though my role now gives me little direct exposure and am contemplating moving to a commodities trading house. Having said that I could stay and hope an opportunity with my employer arises. Although in the time I have worked in investment banking (5 years) I have notice that the working culture and political environment does not make such a move an easy transition. Has anyone out there worked for both a Commodities trading house and an Investment bank and has noticed a considerable difference in working environment and culture? I imagine working in a commodities trading house to be more relaxed and easy going (with more down to earth people) in comparison to an investment bank.

Can someone out there provide me a list of names of well known Commodity trading houses in London. The only one I am familiar with is Trafigura.

thanks

Hey did you move into a Commodities Trade House then? I too work for an Investment Bank and have a strong interest in Commodities. (I work on their trade floor occasionally providing Compliance advice). I'm aware it'll be difficult to cross over jobs with limited experience, but I'm willing to give it a go.
Grateful for any advice...
Thanks.

I currently work for a leading Investment Bank with a huge presence in Commodities. My interest lies in Commodities though my role now gives me little direct exposure and am contemplating moving to a commodities trading house. Having said that I could stay and hope an opportunity with my employer arises. Although in the time I have worked in investment banking (5 years) I have notice that the working culture and political environment does not make such a move an easy transition. Has anyone out there worked for both a Commodities trading house and an Investment bank and has noticed a considerable difference in working environment and culture? I imagine working in a commodities trading house to be more relaxed and easy going (with more down to earth people) in comparison to an investment bank.

Can someone out there provide me a list of names of well known Commodity trading houses in London. The only one I am familiar with is Trafigura.

thanks