Interview process for a trader?

johnjoe8

hey,
Was wondering if anybody could help me, I have an interview for a graduate position with a proprietary trading firm next week, it is an interview first and then aptitude tests, does anybody have any idea of the sort of questions that will come up on the aptitude test? and the style of questions graduates are asked in trader interviews, Im sure every firm is different but at the same time i'd say there's some cross over.
Any suggestions welcomed,really want to get the position!

hey,
Was wondering if anybody could help me, I have an interview for a graduate position with a proprietary trading firm next week, it is an interview first and then aptitude tests, does anybody have any idea of the sort of questions that will come up on the aptitude test? and the style of questions graduates are asked in trader interviews, Im sure every firm is different but at the same time i'd say there's some cross over.

I guess it depends if its discretionary or market making...

discretionary I guess they wanna know if your competitive, your interest/passion in the markets, sporting background, not necessarily if your a gun trader already (I presume), if you have the ability to not get emotional losing money (a background in poker or something would be good)

market making - I dont necessarily know but I preume it will be more maths/logic based interview.... but I wouldnt really have a clue

hey,
If you can post which company you are going to be interviewed then you can expect more specific answers.

How far will a bottom end brass go for half a tick out of the bobl

Nah seriously though just use your brain a bit. They're going to ask you questions that gauge your market knowledge (probably not just theoretical), what motivates you, personality, why you went for the position, why their company, what you see yourself doing in the future blah blah. It would probably be better to know about their company and to get a little knowledge that shows you were interested in trading outside of studies.

I'd guess the test will be gauged towards numeracy and finance applied maths and unless the grads are being lined up with a specific role in mind (i.e. they need a market maker) it could also be used to identify strengths.

This is just guesswork btw but goodluck. Im jealous ;)

Last edited:
I dunno mate I'm an accountant but I wouldn't go in there thinking they're gonna just be slinging out jobs. You're talking a lucrative career here and you're gonna be up against guys who've been locked in a room for two years preparing for that one day.

anyone who has been locked in a room for two years isn't going to get the job, unless the prop firm is fritzl partners

I can lock underage girls in my cellar all by myself thank you, I don't need someone to do it for me

"They're f------g taking all the money back from you guys?" complains an Enron employee on the tapes. "All the money you guys stole from those poor grandmothers in California?"

"Yeah, grandma Millie, man"

"Yeah, now she wants her f------g money back for all the power you've charged right up, jammed right up her a------ for f------g $250 a megawatt hour."

I never actually realised what happened with Enron til I watched that. We only focussed on the accounting side in college. Ethical stuff mostly.