Internships

Look man ,

you can state whatever you want , it still does not chnage a damn thing . You are talking to a guy that's been there and done it .

You have not even got an internship ! and you start making these huge pressumptions .

But please continue the way you are , no skin of anyone's nose except yours .

Better you hear the harsh truth and be prepared rather than live off some media hyped fantasy . tell you that for free.

GammaJammer said:
. . .
Oh well, in the words of the Chili Peppers song, better to regret things you did than things you didn't do.
. . .
GJ

er . . . Butthole Surfers surely? ("and if you see your Mom tell her Satan, Satan, Satan" and the mosh pit goes mental)

Later sampled by Orbital

pietro said:
Dashing blade so judging from what your saying, looks like a Masters in financial engineering is required from Said business school?!?

Imperial's business school do a couple of very good ones.
Avoid those offered City University if possible.

RBS is ok particuarly in short dated ir products (same for Paribas)

a) manchester uni is not considered a top 10 uni that is for sure

b) you havent had any related work experience or done an internship

c) you will be up against some seriously intelligent people if you decide to apply for front office positions.....

To put things in perspective for you on my old desk at Goldman their were 21 traders......11 cambridge, 3 harvard, 2 princeton, 3 lse...etc they had all done internships and all got 1sts from their uni's most spoke at least one other language...need i say more.

Steaming_schatz said:

c) you will be up against some seriously intelligent people if you decide to apply for front office positions.....

To put things in perspective for you on my old desk at Goldman their were 21 traders......11 cambridge, 3 harvard, 2 princeton, 3 lse...etc they had all done internships and all got 1sts from their uni's most spoke at least one other language...need i say more.

this whole topic was started because...... i'm applying for internships!!!! secondly i dont think your personally have a clue when discussing university, Manchester university AKA UMIST!!! or Manchester business school IS considered a top 10 university within the United kingdom, along with Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, LSE etc. I do not live in a media filled world. i live off facts. granted you may have experience in the industry, just like i have experience in university. what makes you think im not seriously intelligent?

this has turned into a bitching topic now, not a discussion.

A Dashing Blade said:
Imperial's business school do a couple of very good ones.
Avoid those offered City University if possible.

RBS is ok particuarly in short dated ir products (same for Paribas)

not sure what you ment by city university? i meant SAID business school the spinoff from Oxford Uni?!
Pietro

Steaming_schatz said:

Steaming,

I think pietro was understanding that getting a job will be hard, but your comments are a little too harsh.
OK maybe he won't get into GS, but hey, who cares and who says he wanted to? Theres plenty of other houses to work for (and we all don't want to do 14-hr days).
Manchester Uni will be fine for 85% of hirers, if not more. He's done relevent study outside his course and seems to be showing willingness.

Pietro,
I went to a Scottish Uni - the only top-10 list we got into was average alcohol consumption! - I immediately went to work in investment mgt for 2-years before moving to an IB.
Don't think that because you don't start working for a bulge bracket house you never will, as once you're in work its your performance that matters. A chap here has just moved to UBS - he graduated 8 years ago.

oh, and by the way - that intern we hired who is now at Lehman, he went to Manchester, as did Martin Brookes (head of investments for the Pru) - and I'll think you'll find that the CEO of Diageo (Paul Walsh) also went there.

pietro said:
this whole topic was started because...... i'm applying for internships!!!! secondly i dont think your personally have a clue when discussing university, Manchester university AKA UMIST!!! or Manchester business school IS considered a top 10 university within the United kingdom, along with Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, LSE etc. I do not live in a media filled world. i live off facts. granted you may have experience in the industry, just like i have experience in university. what makes you think im not seriously intelligent?

this has turned into a bitching topic now, not a discussion.

No Pietro ,

You are the one that must do the listening , you have not even sucured an intern let alone a job and you are making a lot of unsubstantiated claims . You have very little to base your opinions on .

Whereas people who have been in the industry even before you were born , have years of hard core exeprience all over the world . you should seriously consider what they have to say.

If you think that you are name dropping with M. Uni , then you know very little about the money world . I 'm sorry but MU is a bog standard place as far as they are concerned it doesn't even come close to what you are up against .

You seem in denial that there are hundreds of applicants from Ivies / Oxbridge , Masters and Phd holders going for the same thing you are . That's just a fact and part of the discussion not " bitching " as you call it .

That's the scene today , 20 years ago it was different , forget it don't pine for the past .
think alternative strategy .

hello all. Thanks for all the input on this topic i feel i know what "alternative strategy" i may have to take.

Pietro :D

I don't know what stockjunkie is on, he seems to talk trash on all these forums, ive only been on here a day and ive noticed it already. MANCHESTER IS REGARDED AS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY. If you say its not you must be out of touch. I know someone from Manchester uni who last year entered Rothschild IN M&A for crying out loud. You're right oxbridge types are common but believe it or not they want individuals they like, and who have good grades from a top uni. Oxbridge most certainly is not the be all and end all. Manchester with good grades, a good personality and good interviews will be fine mate, thats not to say you'll get the job, but its more than possible. GOOD LUCK!!!

im just saying that you are being negative when what you have written just isnt true, simple as that. My friends have been getting roles in top investment banks from many universities that arent Oxbridge and Manchester is a very good uni for finance/business/management undergrads. Thats a fact. Dont want to get into a row. you know a whole lot more about trading than me! but as for getting into investment banks, I can guarantee you my info is a lot more up to date and accurate, thats all!

KIDDA DREAD said:
Thats a fact. Dont want to get into a row. you know a whole lot more about trading than me! but as for getting into investment banks, I can guarantee you my info is a lot more up to date and accurate, thats all!

You have not even had 1 DAY in a financial insitution and you are arguing against people with years of experience including me ,based on what ? Oh , I forgot your 2 friends that didn't go to Oxbridge .

When you actually get a job at an insitution worth talking about , then come back and talk til then excuse us if we take you , a job applicant with a large bucket of salt.

you keep missing the point. ITS A FACT BECAUSE I KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE RECENTLY DONE IT, more than 2 as it goes. you think you know more about it, when im talking facts, youre talking about your opinion which is obviously out of touch. why not be a grown up and except when your wrong. On this website you seem to just disagree with people for the sake of it. im not stating my opinion, and i know nothing in comparison to you about trading, but I am providing facts about investment bank recruitment. you cant argue with me based on your opinion, i say again i know people who have recently entered investment banking at top banks in a few areas including trading who did not go to oxbridge, some didnt even go to places as good as manchester, the fact you do not know that manchester is good shows how out of touch you are!!!

Sorted IT!

I wish that junkie fellow was reading this, as I secured a graduate job with a top 10 IB this year, signed the contract couple of weeks back.

& I did it without an internship, only reason I didnt do the internship is that i went traveling (got the bug out of my system early).

Loving the fact that i'll be on a fab grad scheme at a Massive US IB.

Manchester is a hot place these days for IBs we have since sept 06 had nearly every BB and MM on our door step wanting us.

picked up studying mandarin in my final year, good move. being the next superpower and all........

If you goto a Uni in the top 15 / 10 you have a decent chance of getting a trading position. Obviously going to Oxbridge / LSE would make life easier but oh well.

If you are a strong candidate you are a strong candidate, nothing can really take away from that. Once in an interview its pretty much down to the person in question to "wow" them.

Let me just say this talk about Manchester not being good enough.If anyone read the evening standard last night they would have seen the guy, can't remember his name who his head of the European side of Goldman Sachs and is expecting a 20 million bonus is from Manchester university need I say more.In addition to this I know of people trading at some of the top banks who have a few GCSE's to there name.This business is all about who you know not what you know.Most of the trading that goes on in a bank is easy any idiot could be trained to do it although there are some exceptions.However to be a successful prop trader at an arcade is alot harder and only a handful of people are successful.

pietro said:
I wish that junkie fellow was reading this, as I secured a graduate job with a top 10 IB this year, signed the contract couple of weeks back.

& I did it without an internship, only reason I didnt do the internship is that i went traveling (got the bug out of my system early).

Loving the fact that i'll be on a fab grad scheme at a Massive US IB.

Manchester is a hot place these days for IBs we have since sept 06 had nearly every BB and MM on our door step wanting us.

picked up studying mandarin in my final year, good move. being the next superpower and all........

congrats pietro...........hope all goes well ..........work hard and good luck...........